All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

SSO or?

jonf

Loooks very much like an SSO to me. Fat red pads, in some cases nowhere near the tone holes. And that engraving isn't engraving, either. It's stamped - look at the last pic, you can see the reverse of the stamp from the inside of the bell. Finally, the vintage instrument manufacturer was Besson and Co, not Bessons and Co.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I do not know what SSO means, but:
- It has a double register key, so probably before 1920.
- Besson made instruments for every company in Europe.
- Boosey was based in WC2
Maybe it is original.
Those horrible red things might have been added later.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I do not know what SSO means, but:
- It has a double register key, so probably before 1920.
- Besson made instruments for every company in Europe.
- Boosey was based in WC2
Maybe it is original.
Those horrible red things might have been added later.
SSO - Saxophone Shaped Object - not sure who coined the term but I first heard it from Jonf. Used to refer to cheap junk that looks a bit like a sax.

This one's one of the Indian ones, recognisable by the mix of rollers/double octave keys, missing low Bb, and red key touches. In general the workmanship is poor, and from what I've read they don't play in tune when you can get a note out of them. Age - relatively recent - late 20th century. Certainly not 1920s. I feel sorry for the buyer.

Don't mix them up with Dolnets, some of which had red pads, or Akustik's, which had red pearls.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
SSO - Saxophone Shaped Object - not sure who coined the term but I first heard it from Jonf. Used to refer to cheap junk that looks a bit like a sax.

This one's one of the Indian ones, recognisable by the mix of rollers/double octave keys, missing low Bb, and red key touches. In general the workmanship is poor, and from what I've read they don't play in tune when you can get a note out of them. Age - relatively recent - late 20th century. Certainly not 1920s. I feel sorry for the buyer.

Don't mix them up with Dolnets, some of which had red pads, or Akustik's, which had red pearls.
I am amazed by the fact that someone bothers copying such an old instrument and a very old brand (Boosey merged with Hawkes in the 30s). It is like forging 2p coins.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I am amazed by the fact that someone bothers copying such an old instrument and a very old brand (Boosey merged with Hawkes in the 30s). It is like forging 2p coins.
Probably just happened to have one to hand. They still make 1950s motorbikes and cars...

Young Col

Nothing wrong with the Royal Enfield or Hindustan Ambassador (ex Morris Oxford MK2) brands as such as they were properly set up companies/brands with no pretention of being something they weren't. But that "Bessons" SSO....

And why is the tatty mpc with the broken reed put on upside down?
YC

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom