support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wind Controller Squeeking tones when changing octaves?

zaphoon

Hi guys,

when I'm playing my aerophone (as a first step on my sax journey), I have a problem changing octave fluidly. Eg, when I go from B to G in the higher octave, I don't release low octave key and press the middle and ring finger at the same time, which sometimes leads to short sqweeks between B an G. I'm playing "my way" which has very continuous notes, so I guess stop blowing is not the answer to fix this.

Since I don't have a sax yet, I don't know if this is also a problem on sax? If yes, what is a correct technique? It's getting obvious that I will need a sax sooner than I thought, but please bear with me in the meantime.

And a happy new year to all!

Might be a hard question for folks to answer...b/c most are not familiar with your device's keywork layout/design ?

Is it the same mechanisms as a sax ? or is it some sorta simplified/pared down mechanics and less keywork ????

edit: OK I looked at an image of one...it's basically buttons mounted to a body....button layout like upper and lower stacks plus pinky table and lower spats, and alm keys L and R.

Where's the octave key ? is there one ?

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 12.56.03 PM.png

...when I go from B to G in the higher octave, I don't release low octave key and press the middle and ring finger at the same time, which sometimes leads to short sqweeks between B an G.
What is the 'low octave key?'

So there IS an octave key which switches between lower and upper register ?

Last edited:
Ah yes, sorry. Supposedly the layout/fingering is close to sax. The octave keys/buttons are on the back side (#4). So When I play low B, I hold the bottom "octave key", then I need to release it and press middle & index fingers to go to mid G. If I blow continously I will hear some in between tones most of the time.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 21.21.58.png

That's interesting, regular saxophones only have one octave key.
I'm not sure what could cause the squeaking sound with an aerophone (I've never used one), but the notes in between are likely the result of finger technique.
What you can try is lifting the "highest" finger first, highest meaning the finger the operates the pad closest to the top of the tube on a regular sax. That would work to eliminate "in between notes" because the air comes out of the highest open tone hole on a saxophone (for the most part).
For example, if you want to switch from G to B, you need to lift two fingers. The "highest" finger you need to lift is the middle finger on the A key, so you would lift that one a split second earlier than the other so that the air doesn't have enough time to go through the tone hole right below where you need it to.
I don't know how well that would work on an aerophone, but I think its worth a shot.
Oh, and if your notes are descending (ie, B to G) that some logic and practice applies, but inverted.

Some transitions are problematic on the saxophone - particularly a slur up to middle D.
But I suspect the problems on the aerophone will be different.

That's interesting, regular saxophones only have one octave key.

Ok, so my plan to learn on aerophone first doesnt look good. Is the 3rd octave on sax achieved by overblowing then?

I'm not sure what could cause the squeaking sound with an aerophone (I've never used one), but the notes in between are likely the result of finger technique.
What you can try is lifting the "highest" finger first, highest meaning the finger the operates the pad closest to the top of the tube on a regular sax. That would work to eliminate "in between notes" because the air comes out of the highest open tone hole on a saxophone (for the most part).

Yes i am sure it‘s finger timing issue on aerophone, just wasn’t sure hiw similar that was to sax. I guess not that much.

Is the 3rd octave on sax achieved by overblowing then?

The first few notes of the third octave (from D up to F or F#, or even G on a soprano) are achieved by using special keys.
After that you enter the arcane world of altissimo. I doubt if this is the same on an Aerophone.

The problem you are experiencing - moving several fingers at the same time - occurs on the saxophone, and on all wind instruments as far as I know. My guess is that learning how to deal with it on the Aerophone will help in general, but the actual problematic transitions may be different on the sax.

However, I doubt whether the Aerophone helps with learning saxophone tone production.

I've never played an Aerophone. Looks like a cool instrument to play around with sounds etc. If your intention is to move onto the Sax at some point, you're not going to lose out on the Aerophone as you can keep it and play it when you want. If you can afford it, get yourself (or hire yourself) the size of Sax you most desire. You will instantly become a lot cooler, save yourself a fortune on batteries, and still have the Aerophone to pick up as and when you wish ;)

Ok, so my plan to learn on aerophone first doesnt look good. Is the 3rd octave on sax achieved by overblowing then?

Learning an aerophone is a great idea, as long as you don't think it is in any way shape or form a way to learn the saxophone. It could actually work against learning the saxophone, like thinking the clarinet is. a 'way in"

I was not very clear. The Aerophone fingering is the same positions as a sax. The actual finger movements are completely different though going from sax to Aerophone is way easier than going the other way

What @Jazzaferri said. I have a WX5 which has a four-position octave key. When you get it right, four octaves (or is it sic, come to think?) are amazing. But getting a fluid change between those on a rocker switch isn't easy. I was getting good at it back in the day, but as soon as I sopped practicing, I had trouble moving between octaves.

Back
Top Bottom