support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

G squeaks intermittently

kicker

Locality
i live the north of england where we are sometimes
i have been having a problem with the note G for several weeks and been trying to identify problem but to no avail. as i am changing through the note and come to the G it will squeek as opposed to the note but this is only intermittent. also with regards to reeds, can they become to wet for use? please help:confused:

Could just be the reed that is causing the squeaks - especially as you say that it just started. I find that reeds do become too soaked but then I have heard that some people keep them in water all the time. I have tried keeping the tips in a drop of water in a jar and I have found this to make them very muffled and unresponsive - but not squeaky.
Try a different reed - also try more or less MP in your mouth and consider the angle at which the MP is entering your mouth. Next I would consider if you are supporting with a consistent air stream and finally, and this is not very pretty but, tension can sometimes cause one to start squeaking `:shocked: So staying relaxed and working on approaching that note from different leading notes can help.
I'm sure it will pass so don't let it bother you unduly.
SteveK

..one other thing to consider is a leak but this would probably cause other problems as well.
SteveK

I get the same thing from time to time (G or G#) but I think it's when I have missed a day's practice or am feeling a bit tired and my embouchure and air stream aren't as good as they could be (in fact mine are never that good - need to work on it more!)

very much appreciate your repllies. it may be down to poor air stream as i have only recently started playing this wonderful instrument. thanks for your help and merry christmas:thankyou:.
p.s. not sure whether i posted this question in the right section, but like the saxophone i am still learning.

You also need to make sure your not touching the palm keys at the top left hand side of the sax when you go for the G.The slightest movement of these will also cause the sax to squeak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you playing alto or tenor? If it is tenor then high G and G# have a tendency to squeak and the only way around it is practice. I too have an intermittent problem with this and the problem is exacerbated when you are expecting it to happen because then it invariably does. I have found that relaxing the embouchure helps as I discovered that I was subconsciously tightening up on the upper register causing said squeak. The only consolation is it gets better over time; even though it still happens it is gradually becoming less often.

In my limited experience, G and D with the Octave key are the least stable notes on the Tenor Sax in the normal range. Both seem to require care and problem re-occur as your technique changes over time.

Keep practicing and I'm sure you will work you way through the problem.

On mine, tuning the instrument (with an electronic tuner) so that G is exactly right makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom