Tutorials

Squeaking!!

thehunt

Play a Mauriat 66R, use PPT MP 8* Rico jazz select 2M's, no problems up till now, last night my sax sounded awful really screechy, especially in the upper register. Also when going from middle D then up to say a high b or a the tone did not change, i checked the octave key mechanism but cannot discern anything untoward there. I have not had any problems with sax up till now, maybe sticky pads? I am scrupulous when i finish playing always clean after playing. Any thoughts as to why it is doing that? Thanks Phil:confused:

griff136

Hi Phil

sounds like you could have unhitched a spring perhaps when you were meticulously cleaning your sax.

If youre playing D and its sounding no different when youre playing B my guess is you either have a spring come off its latch or you have a leak.

check that all your palm keys and side keys are sprung shut and do not open without pressing the key.

thats Palm D, Eb, F high F#, side C and side B
then check the C pad (the one above the B key and then work your way down the sax making sure the springs ar attached and the keys operate correctly.

also check that you havent got paper/lint etc stuck on a pad or tonehole that will stop the pad sealing completely.

If you're still having problems get back to me either on here or give me a bell on 07900805152 But I'll be away between 5.30 and 7.30 tonight but after that is fine.

Griff

OP
thehunt

thehunt

Hi Griff, sorry did not see your msg till this morning, i changed reed last night which seemed to help initially but then came back after about 30 mins playing, i'll check out what you said tonight and if any probs will call, much appreciated, Phil

OP
thehunt

thehunt

got it sorted the crook needed a bit of adjustment but if truth be told i think it was more my fault, i seemed to have changed the way i blow, don't ask me how or why and got this awful sound, it seems to have corrected itself now, thanks for your help anyway, rgds Phil

Top Bottom