Squawking G2 on my new M2 tenor

Rogerb

I cannot seem to play this note consistently, unless I 'walk' down or up to it :(

My teacher has test-blown the sax (sounds gorgeous in his hands!!) and I have tried different mpc & reed combinations.

Any helpful advice would be welcomed !

Chris98

I cannot seem to play this note consistently, unless I 'walk' down or up to it :(

My teacher has test-blown the sax (sounds gorgeous in his hands!!) and I have tried different mpc & reed combinations.

Hello Roger,

I suffered with a 'squawking' G2, or rather it was the over tone I hit rather than the correct note, I also had a similar problem with the G2#. I have to say one of the major benefits moving over to the PPT 7* was that this little problem seems, by and large, to have faded into the distance. (have I mentioned how much I like this mouthpiece?)

I could well be wrong and I'm not desperately experienced, so bear that in mind, but I think I had a better grip of the notes in question because the new mouthpiece is more in tune compared to my Java. Just checking, but I'm guessing you've checked to see the mouthpiece is in the right place, i.e. in tune? I had to slowly ease mine further down the neck as I learnt to loosen my embouchure more.

The other thing is that you've been used to the alto, as was I, which requires a tighter embouchure, the G is a dodgy note because it falls between the two octave pips (neck and body) so seems easier to miss and jump either up or down!

I can't offer any real solid advice or suggest anything for you to do to ensure it doesn't happen, but I think with a little retraining of the embouchure (probably looser) you will find it goes away and you learn to hit the note with ease.

Saying all that, I bet when I get my tenor out tonight I have trouble with my G2!

Hope you're well,

Chris

OP
R

Rogerb

Thanks, Chris.... I also like the PPT 7* a lot and think you are right...it's just case of sticking with it. It does seem to be a bit less frequent.
My other tenor mpc is a Drake Ceramic of the same size ...interestingly 'different'!

Chris98

Thanks, Chris.... I also like the PPT 7* a lot and think you are right...it's just case of sticking with it. It does seem to be a bit less frequent.
My other tenor mpc is a Drake Ceramic of the same size ...interestingly 'different'!
Roger,

You can't leave it there! I tried a Drake 15 months ago when they were fairly (as far as I know) unknown, now they have become quite a name and do a vintage resin (was resin ever vintage?) and a ceramic chamber line. Anyway, I seem to remember it played okay but was nothing special, saying that though, I walked out with a Jody Jazz and was much relived when I dropped that in favour of my Java, so I think that says enough about my judgment on that day!

Anyway, do tell, what do you think of the Drake?

Best wishes,

Chris

Saxlicker

I cannot seem to play this note consistently,

I have tried different mpc & reed combinations.

Hi Roger,
Have you eliminated the possibility of an air leak?
As you have tried many combinations and still get it I would have thought a leak is a prime candidate especially because its G2. The amount of set up through this and the adjoining notes is complex isn't it.
The fact that your teacher has overcome it isn't a surprise either. Experienced Chops can do that sort of thing without detecting an issue.

OP
R

Rogerb

Well, I think I may have, at least temporarily, got it.....it went away when I pushed the mpc on a fraction further!!

My teacher was as sure it wasn't a leak as you can be without testing .... of course he played it with his mpc, a Link, iirc, so the positioning on the neck was slightly different.

Chris, the Drake has a MUCH more 'open' sound, with a clearly defined 'clean edge', if you know what I mean? And it goes VERY LOUD!!! (I haveta blow very gently!)
But it's quite a bit harder to control, for this relative beginner, than the PPT, which was so easy to play and free-blowing from the first moment.
It plays better, IMO, with an even softer reed (a Soft Fiberreed) than the LaVoz Soft which I am using on the PPT, but you hardly have to breathe into it to get a note!
The Drake has a large copper ferrule which has a bigger diameter than the PPT's so it goes further on the cork ....I think if I used it a lot I'd have to do something to avoid its playing too sharp (by being pushed-on too far).

Last edited by a moderator:

Andante cantabile

Paul Harvey explains in his book The Saxophone why D2 and G2 are prone to squawking (also known as jumping to next harmonic, but often not a nice sound). Apparently it is all to do with the use of a single octave key, necessary to make the instrument manageable. The problem could be eliminated with the addition of further octave keys, ideally, he says, four altogether.

As far as I can work out, the cure is hard work and the most appropriate combination of mouthpiece and reeds, as previous contributors have noted.

Top Bottom