PPT mouthpieces

Squawking Cured

Hal the Elder

Account Closed
Locality
High Mojave Desert in Southern California
While running through my exercises today, I was annoyed by the horrible crow-like squawks coming from my lovely Tenor when hitting certain notes.

It wasn't my embouchure I found out, and it wasn't incorrect fingering either.

I found the problem: I must have bumped my mouthpiece, because the reed was no longer perfectly aligned with the tip.

I re-aligned the reed.

Squawking gone!

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at your avatar I was expecting a story about how you filled it with led ;}

Sometimes the smallest things have a big impact. I had a recent show (for the Jubilee). the band climbed into the back of the 4oft trailer that doubled as a stage and we started with "In the Mood". Suddently I realised that i couldn't use the "long alternate" fingering for top Bb as I just got an odd grunting sound. Hmm, tricky as the 1st page has a miriad of Bbs across it. A quick examination revealed a spring had become mis-positioned! Phew. Crisis over.

Also, on another occasion I had just bought my sop (maybe 2 weeks earlier and was going to quartet practice. I decided to practice beforehand(!!) and found I couldn't get any of the top notes to dsound. I was heartbroken. This sop was my pride and joy. Went to practive and the bari player took one look and repositioned a spring and hey presto it was cured.

As a result i am now booked on a basic sax maintenance course ina couple of weeks!

Playing last number (fortunately) couldn't get F#. Small piece of regulating cork had dropped off. Had to use side key. Easily fixed thanks to Haynes manual.

As a result i am now booked on a basic sax maintenance course ina couple of weeks!

Suggest you also get hold of a copy of Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone Manual if you haven't already got one......a real life-saver!

Mr. Wales.....

Do you mean "lead"?

Hal

Mr. Wales.....

Do you mean "lead"?

My Rifles produce too much velocity to use lead for bullets...that causes fouling. They use copper-coated steel bullets.

Handguns (and the sub-machine gun I'm holding) use lead bullets, however. My .45 cal.Thompson uses the same ammo as the .45 Colt 1911 Govt. Model Automatic Pistol.

HAL
Hmm, nice collection you got there Hal, can see your holding the Thompson, but guess it has been modded to fire semi-auto only? (We cant have anything semi or full auto over here apart from .22 rifles) just trying to work out what the others are? looks like a Falcon FN19 (air rifle) up top, Daystate or Webley (air rifle) next one down, third one down looks like either a BRNO or a Saco?, bottom one a .45 Winchester?

Mr. Jarvis.

My 1927 Thompson Sub Machine Gun has not been modified. It was designed to fire semi-auto only by the Auto-Ordinance Co. of New York.

Only the 1921 and the 1928 models fire full-auto and semi-auto. These were the "Tommy Guns" that the Gangsters and the Police used in the 1920's & 1930's. They were called "Chicago Typewriters".

I bought my Thompson new about 35 years ago, and you can still order them today, but the full-auto models are available only to customers in Law Enforcement or the Military.

The rifles on my rack are: (I have replaced the Airgun on top.) From top down:

A Pre-Charged .22 cal Airgun. (forgot the make)

A .22-cal British Webley Patriot Hand-Pumped Airgun (the World's most powerful Springer, requiring 55 pounds of cocking effort)

A Czech Mauser-Action .30-06.

A Winchester Model 94 .30-30 carbine.

Since then, I have added a Remington Model 700 in .223 cal.

HAL

Hal, how do you find the .30-06? i know there very popular over in the states but no so much over here, not as flat shooting as what I'm used to (a.308) i don't have it now but used to have a Remington 700 PSS the police spec sniper model with a McMillan stock, used it on a bench rest shoot down at Bisley on a dead still day at 1000mtrs was getting best grouping of 14 inches, but the top guys were managing 1 inch groups and less! (even saw a much modified .223 with a Douglas 1 in 8 twist barrel doing well!) did somebody mention a rifle forum??

Mr. Jarvis.

My 1927 Thompson Sub Machine Gun has not been modified. It was designed to fire semi-auto only by the Auto-Ordinance Co. of New York.

Only the 1921 and the 1928 models fire full-auto and semi-auto. These were the "Tommy Guns" that the Gangsters and the Police used in the 1920's & 1930's. They were called "Chicago Typewriters".

I bought my Thompson new about 35 years ago, and you can still order them today, but the full-auto models are available only to customers in Law Enforcement or the Military.

The rifles on my rack are: (I have replaced the Airgun on top.) From top down:

A Pre-Charged .22 cal Airgun. (forgot the make)

A .22-cal British Webley Patriot Hand-Pumped Airgun (the World's most powerful Springer, requiring 55 pounds of cocking effort)

A Czech Mauser-Action .30-06.

A Winchester Model 94 .30-30 carbine.

Since then, I have added a Remington Model 700 in .223 cal.

HAL

'Happiness is a warm gun'

HEY FRASER,

The .30-06 was the basic Infantry weapon during WW2 and Korea. (M-1) It's also used for game up to the size of Elk.

I never fire mine...its overkill for 100-200 yard targets at our Desert shooting range. (I do have a stash of ammo that I reloaded for it...just in case!)

For 100-yard targets, I find my Remington .223 to be perfect, and the price of ammo is too low to warrant reloading.

HAL

Looks like a tea bag to me.

Nope. It is a Roo pad with seamless domed resonator.
http://musicmedic.com/catalog/products/pad-s30.html

HEY FRAZER

I got tired of trying to appear "cool" by wearing dark shades, so I decided to have Cataract Surgery so I could wear those fashonable Post-Surgical Eye Bandages!

I had both Cataracts removed and replaced with new Lenses last year, and now I can really SEEEEEE!!!

I'll be keepin' an eye out for ya!

HAL

HEY FRAZER

I got tired of trying to appear "cool" by wearing dark shades, so I decided to have Cataract Surgery so I could wear those fashonable Post-Surgical Eye Bandages!

I had both Cataracts removed and replaced with new Lenses last year, and now I can really SEEEEEE!!!

I'll be keepin' an eye out for ya!

HAL

I am so pleased to hear of your sight improvement that I will not write any comment about guns, but do you realize the striking resemblance between your bandage and the aforementioned saxophone pad? Maybe "Musicmedic" is not a mere coincidence...

'Happiness is a warm gun'

50th Anniversary of the Beatles, I thought they should get a mention somewhere.
This track with its references, connotations and Lennon's views seemed appropriate.