support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Spring is here.

Taking any piece of music and making it your own is (IMHO) the right thing to do. No need for formulated approaches...this is jazz! This is also a great exposition of your technical abilities and compositional skills as an improviser. Great tone and smooth altissimo.

I'm very fond of lots of space in music as it can define what's been heard, separate it from what will be heard, can be a break anticipating change, has it's own beauty, and can engage the listener to fill in what's not heard. It's also totally absent from 99.9% of pop music...their loss/stupidity. Having said all that...from about 1:52 there seems to be more breaks with almost every phrase throughout the rest of the piece. It works for listening to each phrase individually, but I'm not sure if this is too much for the continuity/flow. It's a question rather than a statement as this is overall an amazing piece of music and it's Ian's vision that counts.
(copy from other site)

Taking any piece of music and making it your own is (IMHO) the right thing to do. No need for formulated approaches...this is jazz! This is also a great exposition of your technical abilities and compositional skills as an improviser. Great tone and smooth altissimo.

I'm very fond of lots of space in music as it can define what's been heard, separate it from what will be heard, can be a break anticipating change, has it's own beauty, and can engage the listener to fill in what's not heard. It's also totally absent from 99.9% of pop music...their loss/stupidity. Having said all that...from about 1:52 there seems to be more breaks with almost every phrase throughout the rest of the piece. It works for listening to each phrase individually, but I'm not sure if this is too much for the continuity/flow. It's a question rather than a statement as this is overall an amazing piece of music and it's Ian's vision that counts.
(copy from other site)
Thank you for the great feedback Wade, always appreciated and it is you who i credit my approach to playing like this with your open style pieces you do yourself so well and i adapted that approach to this side of my jazz playing.
The open feel was thought out from start to finish and from midway in the piece (1:52 as you detailed) i decided to really slow the pace , open space and let each phrase be digested for the listener as a lot of solo's are usually in a strict timing format and it is so easy to miss some nice phrases cos of lack of space or the timing makes it fly by, so i decided to do away with conventional 'accurate timing' and opt for an approach whereby i placed the melody/solo where i felt like it, as you said not a formulated approach and a lot more from within.
more of this style to follow.

Nice playing Saxman, always a sound and style out on its own. Reading the comments re. Space... and your posting. Space can be as you played in the song, and space can also be a long note. Of course it depends to large extent on the piece. For long note space, Central Park West springs to mind.

Nice playing Saxman, always a sound and style out on its own. Reading the comments re. Space... and your posting. Space can be as you played in the song, and space can also be a long note. Of course it depends to large extent on the piece. For long note space, Central Park West springs to mind.
Thank you for listening...
and i 2nd your comments on space be it a gap in sound or a long note, i totally agree.

Back
Top Bottom