support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Spotted a GRAFTON for sale !!

Ads

Spotted a Grafton for sale today , you really don`t see many of these coming up for sale thesedays , most I`d imagine are in collections . this has some of the usual issues but is complete .

Hey thanks Jazzdoh, great to see you too ! - it`s been Four years since I`ve been on and been battling on with just the tenor - I`ve just ordered another YAS21 (My fave Alto of all time) as I really missed the last one, I sold it when I got a Pruple Logo YAS62 and in the actually preferred the 21 for tone ! . Finally found another so after 6 years a Pruple Yamaha will again be in my possession and I`ll have an Alto again ...

EDIT - and Jeanette !! great to see you too !!

That's fairly cheap, although I can't see how it can be described as playing in view of the crack that ends in a chip out of a tonehole. The work to the neck sounds failrly minor, octave key needs bending to shape. Not so sure why the tenon doesn't tighten.

The crack has been repaired in the past and No idea about the tone hole - Geoff is a good guy and honest so a phone call would clear anything up ...... they really are collector horns thesedays

Hi David !! Great to see you too !! ..... I`ve been bumbling along with the same one Selmer horn much like I did when I first came here in 2013 (back in the Mk7 days) , this time I`ve kept it (the SA80) serviced and its not falling to bits ;) still using the Yani-9 MP .. found another Pruple YAS21 (Itll be here thursday) so thought I`d pop back and see what`s happening .. I had the first 21 from your good self , you took it to Paul carrington for me to fettle as he was rebuilding / repairing something of yours if you remember (the Grassi ? - can`t remember) .. anyway I stupidly sold the thing after getting the Pruple YAS62 , which I later sold as I couldn`t warrant having such an expensive alto .. Been a long time , No idea where the Prof is, or a few others I remember .

Decent price but still a money pit if you fancy playing it, and assuming you can get somebody who’s prepared to work on it. Willie’s gone but he swore he wouldn’t touch another anyway after restoring Parker's and I'm not sure how many people have the requisite skills. Nice to have if you just want to own one.

Last edited:
That seems a pretty reasonable price if it's in reasonable playable condition. I almost bought one earlier this year which was for sale on facebook marketplace. It wasn't in great condition and missing the original transparent plastic key guards but no signs of cracks. However when it was available we where in the midst of lockdown 2.0 so I wasn't technically supposed to be travelling which is why I never got it. It was only £250 IIRC so I was planning to just have it as a curiosity and hang it on the wall in my practice room.

I`d not own one either as a sax which you either can`t or shouldn`t play has no appeal to me but they are an interesting point in Sax history ..

here`s the YAS21 I`ve ordered .. he says "as used condition as you can get" , well he never saw the last one I had - LOL- needed numerous dents removing from the bow and an overhaul as well as almost no logo left either . this one merely looks "Relic'd" as they say in guitar circles ;)

They do . those old 21s have bags of character with an edge I like, I feel too many Altos try too hard to sound "Big" (the Stephenhauser for one) but that's what Tenors are for - the YAS21 is all about attitude but without being harsh . Hope I can still blow one, its been years ..

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom