All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Spotted a GRAFTON for sale !!

Ads

Locality
North West UK
That's an original MIR Halesowen sticker on the 21 case from when the Toys and Charlie Connolly worked together.
Iirc they split up with the Toys moving to Walsall as MIR and Charile to Great Barr as Connolly-MIR. The latter became Sheward-MIR when Charlie retired some years back.
I remember Charlie retiring, he worked on a Jupiter for me if I remember rightly - funny how both the 21s I`ve had , have had that sticker on ... I seem to remember you visting the "toys" shop who had a few horns for sale .

Your 21 looks in similar nick to my 23 (Vito). There's just something about these older ones which makes you defer to them whatever "better" or more recent Yamaha model you might compare them to. Can't explain what.
Agreed totally - yes the early Pruple 62 I had was like a slicker version of the same horn (and the best Alto I`ve ever played, Selmers included) but these older 2 series models have amazing character, I part-exed the 21 for the Pruple 62 and wished I hadn`t later on as I sold the 62 (couldn`t warrant such an expensive alto and had a SA80 to pay for) , even when I had the 62 I missed the 21 . as you can imagine this one is staying ..

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I went just the once to the Toys MIR to try a used TJ Raw alto. They'd "serviced" it but it played so badly I walked away and never went again. Having said that I then bought a brand new TJ Raw alto and that was 'orrible too! Maybe it's just me and RAWs generally? Weirdly I found that one in the warehouse of Selmer Holland's distributors. No, I hadn't broken in, I know someone there. It was a demo TJ had sent them but they'd never opened. Selmer snobbishness perhaps?

Charlie was a different kettle of fish - an absolute craftsman, everything perfection.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
That was it David - a TJ RAW, I seem to remember some controversy about the Toys at the time too mentioned on here by someone I can`t remember .. Charlie was superb, I guess everyone had to retire sometime but that was a real loss ... Stephen Howard is another of those rare craftsmen Sax whisperers , I still can`t believe the amount of stuff he found wrong with that brand new Japanese made YAS62 Mk3 I had back in 2013 ( I ought to have returned it to Yamaha really as it must have been a Friday Nighter after his report but I knew he`d make it play better than any replacement would have) - I stuck with old Yamahas after that and not regretted it .. I only played a RAW tenor, never got to play an Alto , I still think that YTS62 Mk2 Silverplated I bought from DaveySax was better and the SA80 in another league again but each to their own ..

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom