support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Spooky

Haven't had much time for playing or practicing lately but here is a quickie between roofing and cutting down dead trees

And my clip-on mic died on me so this is a $19.95 Made in China recording
Niiiice feel and improv in and out of the tune

Your reverb puts you further back than the back line, so you could ease to front of stage next time (I know it's very difficult to judge objectively when recording)

Your reverb puts you further back than the back line, so you could ease to front of stage next time (I know it's very difficult to judge objectively when recording)
Ha, I read in and out of tune :cool:

Thanks for the feedback!

The reverb is mostly from all the string instruments in my room and you are absolutely right about the shift!

I've tried this song once in October 2016, but didn't know the genre (probably because I'm a Jazz nerd!). So I recognize myself in the text 'play like a witch flying free on a broomstick'!

So I just started the backing I got and blew something from the top of my mind (hence the title Spooky Pee-Bee!). Played a bit rough on my Otto Link Florida no USA 10* and a Rico Royal 2 reed:

- 'Spooky Pee-Bee':
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13470815
So good to hear you playing and giving it your all.

I've tried this song once in October 2016, but didn't know the genre (probably because I'm a Jazz nerd!). So I recognize myself in the text 'play like a witch flying free on a broomstick'!

So I just started the backing I got and blew something from the top of my mind (hence the title Spooky Pee-Bee!). Played a bit rough on my Otto Link Florida no USA 10* and a Rico Royal 2 reed:

- 'Spooky Pee-Bee':
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13470815
Actually, I like that "a bit rough" part, not everything has to be smooth all the time!

What's that whistling in the background? I hadn't noticed it in the other backing track :)
Nice playing, I dig it!!!

It's there in the original recording by the Classics IV, but it is quite annoying.

I'm just working to record a Sax Quartet arrangement in which the alto part has the instruction "Spooky octave bend" which I guess is an attempt to do the same thing. Not sure what I will do with that !

Rhys

It's there in the original recording by the Classics IV, but it is quite annoying.

I'm just working to record a Sax Quartet arrangement in which the alto part has the instruction "Spooky octave bend" which I guess is an attempt to do the same thing. Not sure what I will do with that !

Rhys
Yes, I heard it after going back and listening to it. It sounds like a fire cracker somewhere in the far distance, I guess they might have tried to convey Independence Day as date night gone spoooookeyyyy :)

Thanks for the timing tip again, sometimes somebody has to clobber it into you before you actually register it to the point where you think about taking action. I was playing around with the "shift" function in Cubase and by moving the recording forward relative to the backing track by 85 msec, it syncs really nice now. I mean, it is a noticeable difference. Good to know for any future stuff, those are the details that can make a big difference.

I won't repost this, hopefully after today I'll have more time and be able to record a new track (after practicing ;) ) and then I may post a different take if it comes out better (that part shouldn't take too much).

I just bought a saxophone quartet arrangement of Spooky which has optional parts for drums and electric bass. There is an alternate baritone part provided in case you don't have a tame bass player available, so I recorded it as a saxophone quintet (two baritones). It's a bit rough and ready and maybe not the most imaginative arrangement, but I might try it out with our quartet now I am getting the hang of that bass line on baritone.

Spooky - 5X Rhys Sax Quintet V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Last edited:
I just bought a saxophone quartet arrangement of Spooky which has drums and electric bass. There is an alternate baritone part provided in case you don't have a tame bass player available, so I recorded it as a saxophone quintet (two baritones). It's a bit rough and ready and maybe not the most imaginative arrangement, but I might try it out with our quartet now I am getting the hang of that bass line on baritone.

Spooky - 5X Rhys Sax Quintet V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Hey Rhys, this is kinda spooky! :cool:

Well, I am practicing this tune in a way I didn't expect. Big Band audition/rehearsal and this tune is coming up on the list. 2nd tenor part will be different :)

Back
Top Bottom