support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Split reed spoilt my gig!

Lloyd

Couldn't have happened at a worse time. The opening bars of the first number, nothing happened. Cue strange looks from the conductor and shuffling all around me. I did manage to get something resembling a note but it was 'orrible. Upon examination I found that the reed had split and so there was an awkward silence whilst I changed to a new reed, which of course hadn't been soaked and didn't perform particularly well.
I don't want to be in this position again so I am thinking of going over to a synthetic reed. This has been reinforced by my latest practice session, again one of my reeds died suddenly and this is one of four that I rotate.
I am using Vandoren V16 tenor 2s. Any suggestion as to a comparible strength plastic reed? I know they differ a bit.

Yes, I saw Pete's thread and they do sound good. I was just a bit concerned about spending £15 or so on a reed that may be too hard or soft. Maybe I'll wait for the reviews.

Plastic reeds. well. I have played fibrecell reeds. http://fibracelldirect.com/. You don't have to wet them. They last a long time. I don't feel the tone is as good as a wood reed (I play 2 1/2 rico on a Otto Link 6* for my tenor). That translates to 2.5 fibrecell premier or medium soft. They do seem to last a very long time (as long as 5 years in some cases) but I am not enamored with the tone for gigs. Marching Band, ok. Gigs, wood reeds better, my opinion.

Always have a couple of extra broken-in reeds on the stand with you. Always make sure the one on the horn works before going on stage. Don't think I know a working pro that doesn't do this (or one that didn't learn the hard way, as you have ;)).

Back
Top Bottom