support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Spittle sizzling between reed / mouthpiece Help!

BeBopSop

Hi, When I blow legato, no problem,but when I tongue, I tend to get spittle (or moisture to be posh) in between the reed and the mouthpiece which then gives a sizzling sound to the notes, any idea how to get around this please?
nb, sop sax, selmer c*, 2.5 reed..Thanks

I find it varies each time I play. Sometimes I get lots of spittle in the MPC, other times I get spittle come out of the top tone holes but, most of the time spittle gets to the bottom of the bell and I have to tip it up to empty it!

My theory for these different scenarios is the difference in temperature of the air I'm blowing in. If the air is hotter then it travels further before it turns into water, if it's cooler then it turns into water earlier and either builds up in the MPC or comes out of the top tone holes. This is my theory anyway!

Can't think of very many things worse than cold spit>:)

Jx

you're not a mother???
I've seen mothers do things that even I (am I have 3 children) wouldn't do.
Once I saw a lady put out her hand for her child to spit something into, as the child obviously didn't like it. The mother apparently had no tissue handy, and there was no bin nearby, so the mother put it in her own mouth and licked her own hand clean. I cringed somewhat.

Back to the thread topic - just suck up said spittle and swallow it at a convenient pause in the music. It's your spittle afterall :)))
and yesterday I took my baritone for its first lesson with my teacher. We played a baritone duet ?!?! but my teacher pointed out that one of the little differences of the baritone over other saxes is that nice little spit-valve on the first bend, and the hazards of playing with men who just empty it onto the floor (she uses a piece of shammy) or the dangers of it leaking onto your own foot :w00t:

Back to the thread topic - just suck up said spittle and swallow it at a convenient pause in the music. It's your spittle afterall :)))
and yesterday I took my baritone for its first lesson with my teacher. We played a baritone duet ?!?! but my teacher pointed out that one of the little differences of the baritone over other saxes is that nice little spit-valve on the first bend, and the hazards of playing with men who just empty it onto the floor (she uses a piece of shammy) or the dangers of it leaking onto your own foot :w00t:

My tenor leaks all over my lap from the palm keys (I think) when I play sitting down. I much prefer to stand.