support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Special MkVI?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
:confused:

Whilst over at Connolly-MIR today, Charlie showed me his "special" MKVI Alto. It has an extra bell key and he referred to it as a "mini baritone". Also had an extra key near the neck opening, an F or F# I think. What is this version of MkVI, and why is it special?
2.jpg

:confused:

It's a Mk VI Low A Alto.

An interesting idea, but while that low A (which is concert C) was desirable on a baritone (and so worth the extra weight and complexity) it wasn't so further up the range, and the idea never caught on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as the others have said Mark VI with a low A,have seen Charlie's a few times,they are rare and Selmer offered them as an option but they never too off,not really special but Selmer didn't make too many of them,you sometimes see them up for sale on Ebay or SOTW.

Thanks for the info. Charlie was saying he wouldn't part with it for less than £5,500. That's double what a normal one would cost.
Is that due to it being a collector's item or might it actually be worth less than normal as it's undesirable for not being the norm?

Thanks for the info. Charlie was saying he wouldn't part with it for less than £5,500. That's double what a normal one would cost.
Is that due to it being a collector's item or might it actually be worth less than normal as it's undesirable for not being the norm?
I've seen standard Mark VI's go for near that money especially if they are in the right condition but generally its about £1500 to £2000 over normal prices,although sax players didn't take to them it as a bigger appeal for a collector due to its rarity.

Given my limited experience of choosing a MKVI, and from players I know, £3,500 to £4,500 is typical for a well set-up and great sounding VI. They are in demand. People go more for the sound than cosmetic condition and often the ones that have weathered less well have done so because they're good and so have been well played and well used. I chose the worst looking of the 3 I tried, and it sounded really special where the others weren't as much so. It cost a £1000 more than the cheapest (and best looking of the 3). I would have been delighted if it was the best looking too. It's not necessarily a bargain if one comes up for £2k and it can be a waste of money if the sax is nothing special.

I wouldn't disregard, or call a gimmick, something with a difference, it would be all about how it played and sounded.

Paul Cohen (Prof. of Sax at Manhatten School of Music) in Saxophone Journal magazine wrote a couple of articles about the low A Selmer (Paris) Mark VI alto about 15 years ago.

If I recall in the article there was probably about 20 to 50 horns ever made with various ranges - low A (A1) to high F (F3) and low A (A1) to high F# (F#3). Apparently Selmer never kept a precise record.

Andrew Clark who use to write the Rock 'n' Roll article In Sax Journal had a low A alto and when he took it to his teacher at Berklee - Joe Viola, no less - Mr. Viola suggested with a low A alto you would be working with different harmonics when playing the altissimo range. I don't recall Selmer ever making a low A Mark VI tenor...but who knows?

Didn't Pete Thomas have one years ago?

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Cohen (Prof. of Sax at Manhatten School of Music) in Saxophone Journal magazine wrote a couple of articles about the low A Selmer (Paris) Mark VI alto about 15 years ago.

If I recall in the article there was probably about 20 to 50 horns ever made with various ranges - low A (A1) to high F (F3) and low A (A1) to high F# (F#3). Apparently Selmer never kept a precise record.

Andrew Clark who use to write the Rock 'n' Roll article In Sax Journal had a low A alto and when he took it to his teacher at Berklee - Joe Viola, no less - Mr. Viola suggested with a low A alto you would be working with different harmonics when playing the altissimo range. I don't recall Selmer ever making a low A Mark VI tenor...but who knows?

Didn't Pete Thomas have one years ago?

Greg S.

Yes, Andrew Clark is blowing a silverplated MkVI low A. Here is a picture of AC blowing a solo gig with The Beach Boys. Kokomo?

7.jpg

Talking about Saxophone Journal. They closed down the magazine. Last issue last September. And it's hard to get saxplayers to Rock & Roll Saxophone workshops as well. Maybe the saxophone era is over? But AC is heading for Sweden next weekend. He is going to peform at a blues festival over here. But no Rocksax workshop. Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom