All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

"Southern" get together?

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Hello All,

Having noticed the post on MaSLM I wondered if there was a similar thing for members in the south (perhaps Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire), but not exclusive of course, for whom Manchester is a bit far to go?

If so, can anyone tell me more? If not, would folks in the region be interested? I'd be happy to do the organising if so (but equally happy to stand aside if someone else wants to).

I met Jonf today when I went to see him about my saxophone dismembering project and he said he would be up for this too. So two and counting......

Anyone interested? It could just be a pub meet or something more (raising for Pete's charity, performances etc):gathering:

Kind regards

Dee

rhysonsax

Sounds good. I am on the Surrey/Hampshire border, so the area you mention would be fine.

If it was a playing type event, then I could bring some of my 'interesting' saxes with me for people to play.

Rhys

Young Col

CaSLM has held similar events in the past. Indeed they were our invention. Whether we could impose on OG to open up the Git Towers basement as we have before is something he will no doubt answer, although it may be a bit far East and North for some of you. We would of course be willing to meet on other ground and you have the advantage that all Caf Sax members are covered by CaSLMs protection policy. Travelling is more difficult since we lost our getaway driver a few years ago (must be eligible for parole soon) and the turbo on OG's Zimmer is always playing up, but I could always drive myself. JonF and C9off will testify to what nice people we are.
YC

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Thank you YC. That sounds like a great start, we have founder members and I see Mr Thomas himself is your president! We have Rhys interested too. Let's see who else may be interested in the next week or so. I'd be happy to travel to a central place and act as designated driver for anyone nearby/on the way or I'd be very happy to offer hospitality here in Burgess Hill if that works well.

Hubby serves excellent coffee/cakes, beer/wine and is also a mean bass player.......

Dee

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Great to see more people trying to get meet up groups going it can be a lot of fun,can take a while to get it off the ground but it's worth the effort and we are all sax blowers of varying standards with things to learn and pass on, good luck .....John

old git

Tremendous Bore
Guys,
CaSLM Nosh ‘n’ Blows could be reintroduced but please note:-

YC and I are more ancient than previously

The CaSLM caff©, “The Tit An Nic” has changed hands twice, so no longer viable

I am a blues man (heating too expensive)

Will not be like the old ones when we supplied each participant with the dots and CD backing tracks. Seen the price of postage these days?

Would be possible to set up a blues session with BiaB CD backing track in concert F with those not soloing doing a simple head riff

Might get round to a simple arrangement of “Moanin’” with quiet lines penned for flute, altos and sopranos and the loud bit with tenors, baris (if any) and trombone

Everyone attending must agree not to die on the premises as the resultant paper work is a potential fire hazard

Will be a Saturday afternoon do and if you want to bring your own stuff, e.g. sax quartet dots, will attempt to encourage others to participate

Venue less than a thousand paces from East Croydon Railway Station and with a pub at either end of the rather short road (hic)

Post and also pm YC and og if you have a possible interest but no guarantee the sessions will restart.

saxplorer

Definitely up for this if time and place are feasible: I'm in Surrey, between Godalming and Farnham.

rhysonsax

Definitely up for this if time and place are feasible: I'm in Surrey, between Godalming and Farnham.
Between Godalming and Farnham ? What style(s) of music are you into and have you been to the Farncombe jazz club ? Simon Allen is playing there on Wednesday and I was down for the impro workshop as well as gig, but have had to pull out as I am away for work. Simon is a great player and a fine teacher too. Tickets still available !

Rhys

PS Maybe the Farncombe venue (upstairs at the pub, excellent room, nice acoustics) might be available.

saxplorer

What style(s) of music are you into and have you been to the Farncombe jazz club ?
Very eclectic! (some sense of what I like: here) In the rehearsal group I play with regularly we play mostly jazz standards, nothing much beyond mid 1950's - "Old Farts Jazz", but we have fun.

re Farncombe jazz club, I keep on planning to go and keep getting thwarted! I'll see how Wednesday works out ;) It's certainly very conveniently located for me.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
hmmmm - does that mean you're going to organise a far south one for our Kiwi & possibly Oz members?

johnboy

You'll all be welcome to hold it here in Alicante ;}, but I will be back in Hampshire, July through August.
One exciting thing I have to look forward to, is the reunion of my old mid '60s band 'The J.Crow Combo', together with the reunion of another '60s band 'The Classics', at the Hillsea Lido, Cosham.

Hi Saxplorer,
That selection would be just fine.

Johnboy :):);}

Captain Clive

hmmmm - does that mean you're going to organise a far south one for our Kiwi & possibly Oz members?
Happy to host a night or 2 at my place. Just google Wyndham Western Australia to get directions. Middle of the year is best, daytime temps in the low30sC. Forget your winter woollies.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Well lets see: if we include Australia and New Zealand and look at just a couple cities at each end, lets say Auckland to Perth, that's over 5,000 Km. Roughly the same as London to New York USA. You guys think if you're not in the same county it's probably too far. I think we are spread a bit further with maybe a few in each big city. Sydney and Melbourne would be the two centres most likely to have enough population to have a few members. I don't live in either. From the Cairns area where I hang out in Australia to Melbourne is 2300 Km. About the same distance as London to Athens. Maybe someone in Sydney or Melbourne will answer the call, but it's not likely that I'll be flying from three to seven hours (one way) for a jam session.

Just having fun with the idea of what "southern get together" means to some people.

Last edited by a moderator:

navarro

I would be interested as long as it was within one hour train journey from London ie Godalming Regds. N. Unless someone want`s to form a London branch.

thomsax

Great! To create local saxgroups is a good way to keep up the interest for the saxophone and saxophone music. We have now Nothern and Southern groups in England. We have a Rocksax group (open project) here in south Sweden. Are they any other groups?

What are you doing on your meetings?

Thomas

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Great! To create local saxgroups is a good way to keep up the interest for the saxophone and saxophone music. We have now Nothern and Southern groups in England. We have a Rocksax group (open project) here in south Sweden. Are they any other groups?

What are you doing on your meetings?

Thomas
Hi Thomas

We have just had our 4th meet up yesterday and as always it was a lot of fun and very interesting there were only four of us made it this time that was Chris Trimmy Gypsy and myself,we are all at varying stages on our sax quest and I think most would agree that we are not of the standard yet to just get out a piece of music and play it straight off together plus I think we are still in the stages of getting to know one another and feel comfortable.Chris spends a lot of time trying to improve our music theory which is very helpful and he's also very good with pc recording programs so we sometimes have a mess about in that area,we have in the past given out music to learn and then try to put together on the next meet up,a couple of these were Blue Bossa and St Thomas our attempt at this was posted last month,another one thats on the go is Blue Monk and we considered picking one of the earlier BOTM's to try to put together a medley sort of thing in the future,all in all its a good laugh and I think most people enjoy it and we all learn something....john

thomsax

Hi Thomas

We have just had our 4th meet up yesterday and as always it was a lot of fun and very interesting there were only four of us made it this time that was Chris Trimmy Gypsy and myself,we are all at varying stages on our sax quest and I think most would agree that we are not of the standard yet to just get out a piece of music and play it straight off together plus I think we are still in the stages of getting to know one another and feel comfortable.Chris spends a lot of time trying to improve our music theory which is very helpful and he's also very good with pc recording programs so we sometimes have a mess about in that area,we have in the past given out music to learn and then try to put together on the next meet up,a couple of these were Blue Bossa and St Thomas our attempt at this was posted last month,another one thats on the go is Blue Monk and we considered picking one of the earlier BOTM's to try to put together a medley sort of thing in the future,all in all its a good laugh and I think most people enjoy it and we all learn something....john
Hi John and Trimmy,

Sounds like you are doing fine on your meetings.

Thomas

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom