All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

South Wales Sax group anyone?

Kath

Hi
I'm new to the sax (1 month in only!!) but would love to get together occasionally with other players/learners/rock Gods! Wouldn't it be great to just meet up evey now and then to share experiences, pick each others brains etc. If any of you out there could do a Swansea night every now and then, it'd be soooooooo helpful to newbies like me x

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
You have compatriots here, who I am sure will be along such as Tom.

Have a look here for groups in your area.

trimmy

One day i will...
If you visit up north regularly then we could try to incorporate a meeting of the MaSLM :thumb:

QWales

Hi Kath, firstly, welcome to the site. There are a couple of small groups in Cardiff that play every Monday & Tuesday and consist of mostly Sax players. The problem you have (besides the distance) is that everyone has been playing at least 2 years. You have a foot up by being able to read music and having previously played another instrument and if you are really going at it with daily practice, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to join in within a couple of months. One of the guys who plays a violin on our Tuesday night class comes down from somewhere near the end of the M4, so maybe you could catch a lift in with him.

Philly123

Hi Kath, firstly, welcome to the site. There are a couple of small groups in Cardiff that play every Monday & Tuesday and consist of mostly Sax players. The problem you have (besides the distance) is that everyone has been playing at least 2 years. You have a foot up by being able to read music and having previously played another instrument and if you are really going at it with daily practice, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to join in within a couple of months. One of the guys who plays a violin on our Tuesday night class comes down from somewhere near the end of the M4, so maybe you could catch a lift in with him.
Hi Kath,
Welcome. I attend the Tuesday group - it's been my main vehicle for learning and it's really good. You should definitely think about coming along when you feel ready. It would be great to have another female in the group (no offence to QWales or any of the other guys). Feel free to PM me if you want some more info.

Kath

Maybe I need to get a bit better first but will def give it a go soon - thanks Philly

TomMapfumo

If anyone is interested Terry Seabrook's Milestones are appearing live in Swansea Jazzland on 13.03.2013 - they are a sextet who do a tribute to Miles Davis and are performing their adaptation of "Kind of Blue" and others. Be fun if there were a few of us meeting up that night (http://www.swanseajazzland.co.uk/programmenew.asp). So if you want to see Alan Barnes doing his John Coltrane impression do come!

Anyway I'm up for a get together in the Swansea area especially.
PM anytime.
Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Kath

Have you been to any of their workshops Tom? What are they like? Are they any good for beginners?

TomMapfumo

I went to one about a year or so ago (Simon Spillett and Martin Shaw playing alto sax and trumpet) - too advanced for beginners in my opinion. give it a couple of years.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Kath

Welcome to the forum I see you seem to be getting stuck in already with various questions and I think your right about a local MEET UP looks like it's time for someone to organise SaSWM "Swansea and South Wales Massif" enjoy your new sax experience .....John

TomMapfumo

Hi Kath

Welcome to the forum I see you seem to be getting stuck in already with various questions and I think your right about a local MEET UP looks like it's time for someone to organise SaSWM "Swansea and South Wales Massif" enjoy your new sax experience .....John
We already have the Skabertawe Horn Collective, and Gilad Atzmon is Honorary President!

Philly123

Hi Kath (and anyone else who may be interested),

Thought you might be interested in this:-

"Swansea Jazzland is presenting a FREE to attend Jazz Master Class with British jazz saxophonist Christian Brewer and Italian pianist Andrea Pozza at the St James Club Swansea SA1 6DR, 7pm - 9pm on Tuesday February 26th.

The Event, supported be Arts Council of Wales, may be of interest to any pupils or students studying Piano and Sax. Those wishing to bring an instrument are welcome to do so, (piano will be there!!) you can participate playing in the session or you may prefer to sit out and listen, whichever you prefer.

Following the Masterclass, we have our monthly jazz jam session 9pm - 11pm.

Full details are on our website http://www.swanseajazzland.co.uk

and also on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/events/405934752828420/ "

It looks good, a bit too far for me to be out that late on a worknight:( but it might be a good way of meeting up with some people down that way.

TomMapfumo

See post #9 above. To benefit you need to be Grade 3 or above in my opinion - improvising is a major part, and knowing II - V - I etc. will be quite important, unless you just want to "sit in". Sitting in at a few Monthly sitters in nights at Jazzland would be good if the aim is to meet people. I recommend that you are at Grade 5 Sitting!

Philly123

See post #9 above. To benefit you need to be Grade 3 or above in my opinion - improvising is a major part, and knowing II - V - I etc. will be quite important, unless you just want to "sit in". Sitting in at a few Monthly sitters in nights at Jazzland would be good if the aim is to meet people. I recommend that you are at Grade 5 Sitting!
Sorry Tom, I didn't connect the two. I meant to "sit in" but what do you mean by Grade 5 Sitting?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom