All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Sourcing small repair items.

SallySax

Despite searching high and low, I have yet to find either a sax tech or a decently-stocked music shop here on Crete.

Can anyone recommend a site where I could purchase basic stuff such as cork and felts? I have tried Dawkes Music, but each time, they have been out of stock!

I have a copy of the Haynes manual now, and feel fairly confident that I can tackle problems like leaks - at least I could if I could lay my sausage fingers on the relevant bits!

I'm off in search of the Cretan equivalent of Evostick...I may be sometime!

Thank-you

Sallie:rolleyes:

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Sally,

I invested in this kit not long after taking up the sax - just in case! I haven't yet had the need to use it, but it seems to have spares to cover most 'first aid' as I don't have any repairers within 150 miles..........

Cheers,

Amanda

SallySax

Thank-you Amanda, that looks like it may do the job!

I'll order one today, and keep my fingers crossed that the import tax in Greece is not too prohibitive!

Thanks again! :)

saxplorer

Thanks for that. The site points non-trade bods like me to Dawkes Music...where what I wanted was out-of stock! I have no need for bulk supplies. I'll drop them an email to see if they can help.

Thanks again!
How odd: I see this now:
"Windcraft is a supplier to the Instrument Repair Trade
The items listed on the Windcraft site are available to the public through our retail store Dawkes Music Ltd. You can find spare parts, accessories, repair materials and instruments on the website."

which I am sure I didn't see when buying from them in the past ....

Sorry if that was a bum steer :(

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
there's a list of suppliers in the sax manual.

musicmedic and ferree's tools in the US are good.

you can source pads in europe from prestini.de and thomann stock pisoni pads. There was an online shop selling Pisonis, but I can't find it at the moment.

For contact adhesive, you can use the stuff they sell for glueing soles onto shoes.

llamedos

A bit annoying really; one day you could buy from Windcraft (and your goods arrived in Dawkes packaging) and the next day you had to be a trader. The post from MMM linking to Windplus appears to be geared towards double-reed instruments on the surface but there is mention of clarinet bits so a delve around might reveal saxophone type goodies.

Anything to feed the GAS worms!

Dave

MMM

A bit annoying really; one day you could buy from Windcraft (and your goods arrived in Dawkes packaging) and the next day you had to be a trader. The post from MMM linking to Windplus appears to be geared towards double-reed instruments on the surface but there is mention of clarinet bits so a delve around might reveal saxophone type goodies.

Anything to feed the GAS worms!

Dave
Dave,
I have been using Windplus for many years and they supply sax pads, springs, perals, etc as well as cork and felt. If it's actual spare parts you need, then Windcraft is the place to go!

Cheers,
M.

MontyMac

Just got here so it may be moot, but just found a dealer on eBay in Canada that has corks, felts, springs, a few left thumb rest buttons and other sundries at remarkable prices. The dealer's store is saxmanjamie. Hope this helps.

I have not ordered anything yet from him as I'm in the early stages of resurrecting an eBay horn that is needing LOTS OF TLC, an Evette Schaeffer Master Bari. If that doesn't ring any bells, don't be surprised. It's a Keilwerth New King/HCouf Superba II clone. The rarity factor is actually annoying. ^_^
TTFN

John Coppen

Hi Sallie,
I am a Sax Tech based in Spain.... If you still have problems sourcing repair supplies I would be willing to send you what you want including felt, cork, pads, springs etc.

John Coppen

jonf

That's helpful, John.

I can also vouch for saxmanjamie in Canada. I've bought stuff from him and his service is good, and prices reasonable.

stedan

In case someone could be interested, here's the link to Luciano Pisoni website: <http://www.musiccenter.it/>.

They produce high quality stuff and are very professional. The only con is the minimum quantity they require to be purchased for certain items like needle springs, which exceeds the usual needs for self-repairings done by a musicians on his/her instruments. The remaining material may comes handy next time one needs it, though.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
In case someone could be interested, here's the link to Luciano Pisoni website: <http://www.musiccenter.it/>.

They produce high quality stuff and are very professional. The only con is the minimum quantity they require to be purchased for certain items like needle springs, which exceeds the usual needs for self-repairings done by a musicians on his/her instruments. The remaining material may comes handy next time one needs it, though.
they have a quite expensive shipping cost for the UK: They are great for big orders, though.

thomsax

I have repair stuff ( pads, felts, corks, feders, screws ... most of it is bought from Ferrees MI .... )that I don't use. I just keep my own saxes in playing condition. Specify on Yard Sales what you need. You do a donation and I send the stuff to you. No money for me. I guess you just need a few things and you are not doing repair for your living!?!?

Thomas

SallySax

I have repair stuff ( pads, felts, corks, feders, screws ... most of it is bought from Ferrees MI .... )that I don't use. I just keep my own saxes in playing condition. Specify on Yard Sales what you need. You do a donation and I send the stuff to you. No money for me. I guess you just need a few things and you are not doing repair for your living!?!?

Thomas
Thanks Thomas and you're right, I don't do repairs for a living. In fact I don't do anything..!

xx

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom