support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sound sample of the Hanson V tenor sax

It's interesting to hear the differing views on what constitutes 'dark' or 'bright' in a Saxophone. I would never connect the concept of a 'dark' sound with ease of playing low notes. I guess it goes to show how subjective these terms are.

There doesn't seem to be any Google clips of the Hanson V. Not sure how useful they might be in honesty.

Very funny!, but seriously will it be able to play the low notes softly with little effort?
Colin, was that the Hanson V on that video??

Depends on who is playing it and whether or not there are any leaks.

How dark it sounds on a recording will depend a lot more on the player and the mouthpiece than on the saxophone,
So I don’t think a single recording on it’s own will help you much.
Absolutely.

Sorry if you think I was being flippant. It's a completely subjective question, asked twice in two threads. To understand the answer one must first understand the question. A recording will give more information about the mic and other recording equipment than the horn. Perhaps you should talk to Hanson.

So you are saying a vintage Martin Comittee will play as bright as a Yamaha yts-62 with same mouthpiece and reed??

I believe that one player, with their favourite mouthpiece and reed and recording environment may indeed make a Martin Committee sound brighter (whatever that means) than a different player with their favourite mouthpiece and reed playing a YTS-62. So a Youtube video where someone is playing a Hanson and making what you consider to be a dark sound, won’t actually tell you much.

However if one player, using the same mouthpiece and reed, makes comparison recordings of several instruments, then that could tell you something about their relative tonal qualities.

Here's a video of Don Menza showing several distinct sounds playing a Cannonball tenor. I imagine he could do the same thing with any horn in good condition. So I agree with @nigeld

Menza demonstrates subtone. If you saw only that, you might think the Cannonball sax produces subtone but if you see the whole video you know that's incorrect. I've never seen a video where one player plays significantly different horns all of the same general level of quality and condition. It'd be fun!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom