PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Sound Reflector's

daveysaxboy

Account Closed
How many gigging player's use these.I use a home made version that's just been cut from a perspex sheet (old picture frame) with a triangle hole in the middle and just hang's around the mic end.They really help at loud gig's and are a great tool to have.New 1's cost over £40 so get a old perspex sheet,stanly blade and a round plate and do your own.:D

I did exactly that and couldn't hear myself well enough. So decided the best bet was to use it as a frisby and slice the head off one of the punters.

Well alright I just trashed it, but am currently waiting the arrival of my new active floor monitor, al' the whay from Geordie land like...ha way divent dunsious wa mams a norse!:(

I sometimes use a home made one too.
It's a half way house and not a substitute for good monitoring but I tend to sound check my monitor without it and then add it after that. This way it helps compensate for the musicians from the 'darkside' with their amp twiddly knobs that they just can't leave alone :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what mine cost as it was a pressy, but I use it at gigs and it works really well, in conjunction with a monitor. Nice piece of kit - adjustable clamp so you can sit it at any angle and it will fit anywhere on the mic or mic holder.

I got mine as a pressie as well, works a treat but you can't beat a good monitor...at least it acts a as gob protector, keeps me nice and dry. Some of those Pompey audiences are still living in the punk era.

How many gigging player's use these.I use a home made version that's just been cut from a perspex sheet (old picture frame) with a triangle hole in the middle and just hang's around the mic end.They really help at loud gig's and are a great tool to have.New 1's cost over £40 so get a old perspex sheet,stanly blade and a round plate and do your own.:D

I have one. Shop bought and quite pricey. Used it once then realised that a pair of musicians earplugs were far more effective at a loud gig since they bring down the volume as a whole and make it easier to hear myself.

Makes a pretty decent dust-gatherer now although I think I'll try it again in conjunction with the earplugs; might be that I don't have to hear the rest of the band at all!!! >:):)))

Martin

I have one. Shop bought and quite pricey. Used it once then realised that a pair of musicians earplugs were far more effective at a loud gig since they bring down the volume as a whole and make it easier to hear myself.
pricey- but significantly cheaper than musician's earplugs, methinks.........

Surely not as ugly as having a massive floor wedge in front of your feet.

Brian

World will be a better place when saxophone players will be allowed to perform facing a wall.
And guitar players obliged to produce their own electricity cycling on stage.

World will be a better place when saxophone players will be allowed to perform facing a wall.
And guitar players obliged to produce their own electricity on a cycling on stage.

Can't argue with that,i use big floor monitors on some gigs but always seem to trip over them,thinking of getting something smaller like "The Box MA205" from thomanns need to get more info one them first.

Brian

Before I gave up trying to hear myself on stage, I used successfully a small speaker mounted on a stand. I took the idea from Bob Berg: there must be some video around showing him using it.

The cheap alternative to a purpose made sound reflector is to go to Staples and buy a perspex notice holder 15 x 24cm which costs about £7. Clip it to one side of a music stand with a bulldog clip at about the height of the bell and there you go. It's simple, no fancy connecting bits to break and it is cheap to replace when you break it, as you inevitably will with all sound reflectors. Also looks quite discrete.

This is probably going to be a really stupid question, but ....wouldn't you need to stand pretty still in order for the sound reflector (attached to a music stand) to be of any use?
I can't imagine that I stand still enough :)))

Some time ago I bought a baritone sax with a hole in the bell ... the previous owner thought that was a great place to attach a sound reflector :shocked:

Fortunately, my repairer did a very good cover up operation ;}