All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Sound panels and other ways to reduce the erm, "noise"

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
@saxyjt mentioned sound panels in a recent post about reducing the sound pressure where you practice. I would like to see if anyone has experience with them, what kinds, who makes them, how much, do they help that much?

I just recently added some heavy drapes that were supposedly going to cut the sound and they actually don't much if at all. They're just really heavy drapes!

I saw this when searching:

I wonder of the nice images actually reduce the sound, or are the large panels good or do you need those alien looking thing on walls and ceilings?

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
@saxyjt mentioned sound panels in a recent post about reducing the sound pressure where you practice. I would like to see if anyone has experience with them, what kinds, who makes them, how much, do they help that much?

I just recently added some heavy drapes that were supposedly going to cut the sound and they actually don't much if at all. They're just really heavy drapes!

I saw this when searching:

I wonder of the nice images actually reduce the sound, or are the large panels good or do you need those alien looking thing on walls and ceilings?
Are you concerned with the amount of sound that leaves the room, or the sound bouncing around inside the room?

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I'm trying to reduce the sound that leaves the room. But deadening the room is a by product for recording and concentrating on the sound, too. I have a booth kind of prototype now in cardboard that I'm testing with those absorbers.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
I think you need to consider 2 subjects;

soundproofing - this is about stopping the sound you make from getting out (eg practicing without disturbing others), and also stopping external sounds getting into your recordings. You can achieve this with some kind of booth that can be bought ready-made, such as Studiobricks, or Whisperroom, or Thomann search. Soundproofing a whole room is another option, but that's a pretty major ($$$) project. I built my own booth in the basement of our apartment: Practice Booths.
The more soundproofing you want, the bigger (thicker / denser) and more heavy-duty you need to get. The one I built is on par with the good ready-made ones. It cost about a third of the price, but it takes an effort of course.

Edit: to get significant results, the booth needs to be as airtight as possible.

Acoustic treatment - This is about making the space that you practice and record in sound nice - or neutral. That's what the black foam panels and the acoustic panels are for. Thomann "acoustic treatment". The main purpose is to reduce reflections and standing waves that make the recording sound boxy and echoey. Those acoustic panels you showed are useful because you can move them around to suit your recording set up in a room (they need to be near a wall to be most effective)- I made one for the spare room I sometimes record in, but for a booth, you would probably need to cover the entire interior with the foam panels, and as many bass traps (in the corners) as you can.

There's a lot of info out there, just google "soundproofing" and "acoustic treatment".

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Budget so far, about 150€. Those panels reduce the sound as do the special drapes I have. It doesn't need to be 100%, just a reduction so it isn't too loud for two neighbors houses or in this house.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
In that case it's probably a good idea to focus on the doors and windows, where most of the sound gets out of the room.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
I think there are some fairly simple things you could do to soundproof the doors and windows, but I don't think those acoustic panels will do much to stop sound getting out of the room.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
When they surround me in a cabin, the sound is definitely reduced. Not to the point of a real studio, but it's low enough to be less distracting.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Budget so far, about 150€. Those panels reduce the sound as do the special drapes I have. It doesn't need to be 100%, just a reduction so it isn't too loud for two neighbors houses or in this house.
On a budget, rockwool or polyester batting in DIY frames will probably be best. Frequency of damping is often better than the proprietary panes, and make sure to leave a 25cm gap. But for soundproofing, the door is the number thing to address.

On a budget, a bog-standard half hour fire door isgood, with attention paid fit in the frame.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom