support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM - September 2016: The House Of The Rising Sun

Ok, started to have a play with this. Just the intro and first verse for now, I'm hoping my timing is a bit easier on this as I'm more used to this than the ballad type stuff :) Tone seems very 'thin' today for some reason, probably trying too hard :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/TheRisingSun05092016.mp3

Oh, nearly forgot. Notes are from the sheet with a few refactored notes, plus I've migrated them all as the backing track is in a different key (D major...unless it's a minor key, in which case it's err, something else :)) A few A#s too, not really sure why as there's also some A's, sure there's a reason for that, but my teacher worked most of that out. Taken mostly from the YouTube of The Animals version.

thanks for the post Tiberius, timing it's ok and everything else too :)

Am posting a favourite harpist doing this song, enjoy.

As a followup to this post...I guess some of us are slow learners!

Here are her comments after taking up the Sax...

"The thing is this is a rented saxophone and the mouthpiece and ligature are in a bad shape, i mean I think they are…Having said that I m really in love with the saxophone it is a wonderful instrument even if I don't know most of it and what certain keys are for LOL"

Will some kind soul who lives on the Continent please gift this Incredible Woman an Alto and invite her here..She is a gifted Artist and as such ends up taking a lot of abuse on YouTube from the haters.. this would be a wonderful place for her to recover amongst friends...And of course we would all be blessed by her talent and friendship!

1st Day of playing the Sax...
4th Day of playing the Sax...
10th Day of playing the Sax

Has she played any woodwind instrument before or is she claiming to be a complete beginner with no prior musical experience? I'm skeptical.. i'm sorry... and that doesn't make me a "hater", I haven't read the YouTube comments.

She played Recorder at age four and then Oboe from the age of 14 until 21...Then everything got interrupted by "Life" like a lot of us...Here is an interview that might help! She has basically stopped her YouTube appearances (over 2 million views) and has moved on now with international recognition...she doesn't need anyones help here...However...I would sure love to hear her perfect her skills on the Sax and share her talent with us old folks who's music also got interrupted...She's sure an inspiration to me!

Last edited:
Has she played any woodwind instrument before or is she claiming to be a complete beginner with no prior musical experience? I'm skeptical.. i'm sorry... and that doesn't make me a "hater", I haven't read the YouTube comments.
There's a lot of her stuff on the tube, mostly harmonica. The sax pieces above are from 3 years ago. There's at least 1 recorder piece there as well. So I guess she's not so green, coming to sax.

"The thing is this is a rented saxophone and the mouthpiece and ligature are in a bad shape, i mean I think they are…Having said that I m really in love with the saxophone it is a wonderful instrument even if I don't know most of it and what certain keys are for LOL"

Will some kind soul who lives on the Continent please gift this Incredible Woman an Alto and invite her here..She is a gifted Artist and as such ends up taking a lot of abuse on YouTube from the haters.. this would be a wonderful place for her to recover amongst friends...And of course we would all be blessed by her talent and friendship!

Wow!! I'm realy a slow learner :(
However, inspired by Jimmylh who played guitar, this time I'm playing bass :p BIAB is playing drums and guitar, about 2:30 minutes, my cat was caught by the microphone but when I made the mix he disappeared, but if you hear a cat is perfectly normal:)
My alto version:

The House Of The Rising Sun

lol...when I posted my first ever recording on Soundcloud a few months ago using a backing for summertime) it was taken down as it was deemed to be
breaking the copyright of Christell Berthon playing Summertime. I always wondered who she was.

I was listening some work of this lady on youtube and she is a star on the harmonica, I do not wonder that she needs little time to learn saxophone :)

Being a jazz nerd I almost never play pop music, but wanted to make an exception for this month pick of Francisco! Not much preparation as usual, so it's a bit rough.

- 'House Of The Rising Sun' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13449470

With as always a big thanks to Chris for the backing. :)

Thanks for posting, very good ;)

OK guys, first of all thanks to Francisco for picking and hosting this tune:):thumb: There have been some pretty cool versions posted:clapping:

After asking several members to host Oct's sotm, we have come up empty handed. So, if anyone would like to pick the tune and host the new thread then feel free to contact me and e can sort things out, go on, you know it's good for you:)

Chris...

Damn sorry I was away duba sciving for a few days so missed this. I'm in the Maldives diving for a week in October and I'll be deaf when I get back, so I afraid I won't be around much this month, certainly would do it again if you can't find anyone next month...I have some songs I want to learn, let it go from frozen would be good...no you can't do it for October, I'm not here enough :)

Thanks Alan, yes indeed, some new ideas in the pipeline after recording a piece for a friend. All will be revealed as soon as I have time to play around :mrcool

Back
Top Bottom