All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

SOTM October 2020 - Flamingo

rhysonsax

Subscriber
I really like Scott Hamilton's version of Flamingo that was linked to on the first page of this thread. It's got a great swing tempo and I just found out that it was recorded with a British rhythm section in my home town of Farnham in 2005.

Anyway, I made a BiaB backing track in the same key and tempo and used Scott's first chorus as a starting point for my tenor recording.

Flamingo - Rhys Tenor Swing V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
I really like Scott Hamilton's version of Flamingo that was linked to on the first page of this thread. It's got a great swing tempo and I just found out that it was recorded with a British rhythm section in my home town of Farnham in 2005.

Anyway, I made a BiaB backing track in the same key and tempo and used Scott's first chorus as a starting point for my tenor recording.

Flamingo - Rhys Tenor Swing V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Excellent Rhys - I'm a fan of Scott Hamilton - you did a great job!

Adrian63

If you haven't already seen it you may want to check out " Great Scott " on you tube : an hour and a half documentary of his story . I was lucky enough to swap a few e mails with him a few years back and keep promising myself to catch up at his Dean St Pizza Express residency on New Years Eve....

Adrian63

I'm talking on another thread about not being a jazz follower : this is about as far as it goes...a great player with a wonderful sense of melody... :)

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Subscriber

Rhys
I love what you've done with the backing track and really enjoyed listening to your playing, thank you. Look forward to the alto transcription too.

sax panther

Subscriber
I hadn't heard this song before - had a listen and thought it would suit the bari, so this is the first time it's been out of the case since early march! (my last gig before lockdown :()

https://soundcloud.com/user-934945909%2Fflamingo-bari
Forgive the cheesy ending, I realised I was approaching the end and hadn't honked a low A out yet.

Recording this actually caused a bit of an argument with my girlfriend - she was getting fed up with my flamingo impressions, so I had to put my foot down...

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Flamingo with cheese - an interesting flavour combination that seems to work pretty well.

Rhys

Sue

Subscriber
I hadn't heard this song before - had a listen and thought it would suit the bari, so this is the first time it's been out of the case since early march! (my last gig before lockdown :()

Forgive the cheesy ending, I realised I was approaching the end and hadn't honked a low A out yet.

Recording this actually caused a bit of an argument with my girlfriend - she was getting fed up with my flamingo impressions, so I had to put my foot down...
Oh I do love cheese (we could have a cheese thread to go with the wine thread - is there one?) and especially cheese jokes.

I always wish I had a bari when I hear it played, thanks for doing this. I really enjoyed it and the low A :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Oh I do love cheese (we could have a cheese thread to go with the wine thread - is there one?) and especially cheese jokes.

Jx

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Eventually I managed to complete my transcription of the fine alto version recorded by Antonio Hart. It's the longest one I've done so far and was a lot of fun to work at.

Antonio Hart plays so fluently and I had to slow it down a bit to be able to play some of the lines that he makes sound so easy. I also had to chop out quite a lot of his solo (jumping from page 2 to 4) that I'm still working at, but here is my recording including the long outro, backed by an uncomplaining rhythm section from BiaB.

Flamingo - Rhys alto V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

rockplayer

Eventually I managed to complete my transcription of the fine alto version recorded by Antonio Hart. It's the longest one I've done so far and was a lot of fun to work at.

Antonio Hart plays so fluently and I had to slow it down a bit to be able to play some of the lines that he makes sound so easy. I also had to chop out quite a lot of his solo (jumping from page 2 to 4) that I'm still working at, but here is my recording including the long outro, backed by an uncomplaining rhythm section from BiaB.

Flamingo - Rhys alto V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Well played!

Sue

Subscriber

Rhys
Excellent on both counts - transcribing and playing. Thank you :)

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
We have come to the end of this month, so I would like to thank @Sue for acting as host and to thank all the contributors.
As usual, this thread will remain open, and additional contributions are always welcome.

Sue

Subscriber
We have come to the end of this month, so I would like to thank @Sue for acting as host and to thank all the contributors.
As usual, this thread will remain open, and additional contributions are always welcome.
Thanks from me too and thanks again to @nigeld for the backing tracks.

Top Bottom