support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM October 2019 - All the Things You Are

I bought a slow piano backing track from StandardsTrax.com that I think is aimed at vocalists and the pianist pulls the tempo around a lot. It does have the verse at the start and also a short piano solo in the middle but otherwise it is me on baritone trying to play the melody and keep my place.

Rhys
Rhys, you seem to have fully integrated your vibrato into your playing now - and it's being noticed and enjoyed, judging by the comments. That's a really fast turnaround for something like vibrato. The technique must have been there ready and waiting, just needing the concept formulating and hearing it in your head. Great achievement mate.

I have four old recordings from July 2014 to share:

1. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - fast tempo:

2. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - medium tempo / gypsy backing:

3. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - slow tempo:

4. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - solo saxophone:

Great classic old-time tenor fluffy tone and wide vibrato. Nice back-of-the-beat feel too. :yess:

I have a saxophone quartet arrangement of ATTYA done by the great Lennie Niehaus for the Hollywood Saxophone Quartet in the 50s. They recorded it with a drummer and bass player and took it at a fearsome pace. It can also be played without the drums and bass, but that doesn't make it less of a challenge.

I played it about two thirds of their tempo and made two versions: with and without the drums and bass, kindly provided by BiaB.

All the Things You Are - Rhys Sax QuartetV2b.mp3 - Box

I think we are going to try it with our saxophone quartet, but will struggle to get it up to performance standard. There are accidentals all over the place and the middle section is a roast.

Rhys

I have a saxophone quartet arrangement of ATTYA done by the great Lennie Niehaus for the Hollywood Saxophone Quartet in the 50s. They recorded it with a drummer and bass player and took it at a fearsome pace. It can also be played without the drums and bass, but that doesn't make it less of a challenge.

I played it about two thirds of their tempo and made two versions: with and without the drums and bass, kindly provided by BiaB.

All the Things You Are - Rhys Sax QuartetV2b.mp3 - Box

I think we are going to try it with our saxophone quartet, but will struggle to get it up to performance standard. There are accidentals all over the place and the middle section is a roast.

Rhys
Both really nice performances, Rhys. I can't imagine trying that at full tempo! Very impressive - thank you!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom