support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM October 2019 - All the Things You Are

Mark Hancock

Café Supporter
Locality
Zurich
SOTM for October is "All the Things You Are", written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein in 1944.

There's a basic analysis of the song, a bit of background and some links to various versions on the Wikipedia page.
All the Things You Are - Wikipedia

The lead sheets and Backing files are here (Thanks Nigel!)
All the Things You Are

One of my favorite versions is this one by Scott Hamilton. It comes complete with transcription!!

Looking forward to hearing your contributions!
Mark

One of my favorite versions is this one by Scott Hamilton. It comes complete with transcription!!

On my computer there is something wrong with the sound in this Scott Hamilton track. The piano is fine, but the sax sounds as if it is in the next room.

Great choice and that Scott Hamilton recording is wonderful. I had never heard the verse before, just the "theme", and the tempo is often taken too fast for my taste.

Looking forward to hearing what people do with this and also to hearing more recordings that are new to me.

Rhys

On my computer there is something wrong with the sound in this Scott Hamilton track. The piano is fine, but the sax sounds as if it is in the next room.

It works fine on my iPad. I’ll try again on the computer tomorrow!

For me, the definitive performance from a classic album.

Rhys

I have four old recordings from July 2014 to share:

1. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - fast tempo:

2. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - medium tempo / gypsy backing:

3. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - slow tempo:

4. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - solo saxophone:

From the album Two of a mind. Marvelous.

I was unaware of this extended version they performed with the Dave Brubeck trio. Fine solos and clothing to suit 1971. I wonder if Gerry Mulligan had a bad back that day.

Rhys

Isn't bar 14 a minor? (concert chart it's F7, tenor G7, alto D7) and in the SGU as well. I've always heard it that way (minor) and in the two visible YouTube charts as well.

Isn't bar 14 a minor?
I think you are right @randulo . The second A section should be basically the same as the first except down a fourth. Bar 14 looks like it should be the ii7 resolving to the I in bar 16.

Any chance of some technical support on this @nigeld ? I have only just got BIAB, so I would be almost guaranteed to make it worse somehow o_O

I was unaware of this extended version they performed with the Dave Brubeck trio. Fine solos and clothing to suit 1971. I wonder if Gerry Mulligan had a bad back that day.

Rhys

Dave Brubeck's and Paul Desmond's Bach is more convincing than Gerry Mulligan's.
Maybe Mulligan had a bad Bach that day too. :)

Mulligan seems to using some sort of fixed support for his bari. Presumably attached to the chair.

I have four old recordings from July 2014 to share:

1. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - fast tempo:

2. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - medium tempo / gypsy backing:

3. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - slow tempo:

4. - 'All The Things You Are' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - solo saxophone:
Thanks mrpeebee - great performances!

Isn't bar 14 a minor? (concert chart it's F7, tenor G7, alto D7) and in the SGU as well. I've always heard it that way (minor) and in the two visible YouTube charts as well.
I think you are right @randulo . The second A section should be basically the same as the first except down a fourth. Bar 14 looks like it should be the ii7 resolving to the I in bar 16.

Any chance of some technical support on this @nigeld ? I have only just got BIAB, so I would be almost guaranteed to make it worse somehow o_O

You are right - my mistake - apologies.
(I had a quick look at my Real Book copy in the hope that I could blame it, but I can't.)

I have corrected the files in the DropBox folder - so you can find the new ones by following the link in the original post or here:
All the Things You Are

I have also included a slower backing for those who want a dreamy version.

It works fine on my iPad. I’ll try again on the computer tomorrow!

It seems to have been a bad headphone connection. Now fixed.
Why it would distort the sax and not the piano is a mystery to me. Maybe my computer is trying to tell me something.

You are right - my mistake - apologies.
(I had a quick look at my Real Book copy in the hope that I could blame it, but I can't.)

I have corrected the files in the DropBox folder - so you can find the new ones by following the link in the original post or here:
All the Things You Are

I have also included a slower backing for those who want a dreamy version.

Sorry Nigel, but there's also a rogue Ab on first beat of bar 17. No problem for those who know the tune but..

Back
Top Bottom