support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM November 2016 - My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
It appears to be my turn to sort this out (cheers Nigel!), so I'm suggesting a song that doesn't appear to have been covered by many instrumentalists. Lots of female (rather obviously) vocalists have had a bash at it but not many sax players, trumpeters, etc. Instrumentals rather miss Cole Porter's dodgy innuendo but never mind - perhaps you should have it mind when playing. :)
As usual Chris has kindly provided dots and a backing track and these are available here.
Here's possibly the best known version (for someone of my age anyway):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEJKZAApbf0

and here's one courtesy of Mulligan and Baker:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22zH5M4k30

I'll probably murder this myself at some point.

Instrumentals: Roy Haynes - My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Dizzy Gillespie - My Heart Belongs to Daddy

There is a version of the backing track in iReal Pro, but it is not the same as Chris' version.
So here is an iReal Pro chord chart with the chords Chris uses.

Dropbox - My Heart Belongs To Daddy - Chris.html

To import the file into iReal Pro on a Mac, download and open it.
On a phone or iPad you can tap the "share" icon top right in Safari (the box with an arrow coming out of it) and choose "Import with iReal Pro" from the list of options.

I found this trio version by tenor saxophonist Bennie Wallace. I have a couple of his albums and really like his old school sound with modern ideas - in the same vein as Lew Tabackin.

Rhys

Another excellent choice. Another challenge for me to try and catch up... :eek:

As usual Chris has kindly provided dots and a backing track and these are available here.

Just beware A4 residents (as opposed to Letter), PDF scores are printed in Letter format so may print truncated on A4 unless you scale appropriately!

Unlike me to be first, but I liked this tune. Here on tenor with just a BiaB bass and drums for company as I mess about.

My Heart Belongs to Daddy - Rhys tenor V01.wav - Box

I've got another backing track in a completely different style that I want to use as well.

Rhys

You have a very nice sound on tenor, especially on the lower notes. Sort of deep and rich. When you first started playing I thought it was a baritone.

That's a really cool take Nick -
reminded me in places of the Sheik of Araby or something by Louis Prima / Sam Butera.
If that was just a poke I'd like to hear it when you kick ass.
Thanks really enjoyed it ;)