support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM May 2020 - My Little Suede Shoes

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
@nigeld has asked me to host SOTM for May and I have chosen a happy Latin-tinged tuned by Charlie Parker - "My Little Suede Shoes". Here's the original Parker recording:

Lots of other musicians have recorded it, but often they seem to play it faster than Parker and lose something of the feel. I have made backing tracks and lead sheets in the original key and tempo (150bpm) and they can be downloaded here: My Little Suede Shoes - Cafe Sax SOTM May 2020 - Box

Coincidentally, someone has posted backing tracks on YouTube just a week ago at a range of different tempos and also this example solo. I grabbed three of their backing tracks (100bpm, 120bpm and 140bpm) and put them in my Box.com directory for people who want to play slightly slower.

Just a note that my backing tracks have an eight bar introduction but the YouTube-sourced ones count straight into the pick up. You can use the same lead sheet for any of the backings but just leave off the intro if you are using the slower tracks.

It's a fairly simple 32 bar tune with A A B A structure, straightforward chords, and in a friendly key for saxophones, so do please give it a go this month.

Rhys

Love this tune and surprisingly unknown to a lot of players, it’s a fun tune

I don't know why, but I really like that one ! It conjures images of a duck wearing suede shoes.

Can you make a longer version ?

Rhys
Yeah, I intend to, I want to pratice the improv a bit first

Yeah, I intend to, I want to pratice the improv a bit first

I'd say that's a duck's start! Very promising... Inspiring too! :w00t:

Well done. Don't worry about the end. I'm sure you'll trim the silent ending next time...

I seldom play my soprano but May will be for me the month to practice on Soprano, after one year that it stay in the case.

Quick and dirty:

View: https://youtu.be/ig1_aITWQfA

Ciao and keep you safe.

Cafe Saxophone SOTM May 2020
S Rampone & Cazzani Deluxe - Drake Son of Slant 7 - Fiberreed Carbon M

Nice sound, but you came in with the tune at the wrong place ! It can be confusing with the chord sequence being quite repetitive.

I think that is the excellent Hal Leonard backing track you are using, in which case the melody should start after four bars of drums, with a pick up just before the piano comes in.

If you've got the Hal Leonard book and CD you can listen to the example track and make sure you use their lead sheet (4 bar intro) rather than mine (8 bar intro).

Looking forward to the next recording.

Rhys

Nice sound, but you came in with the tune at the wrong place ! It can be confusing with the chord sequence being quite repetitive.

I think that is the excellent Hal Leonard backing track you are using, in which case the melody should start after four bars of drums, with a pick up just before the piano comes in.

If you've got the Hal Leonard book and CD you can listen to the example track and make sure you use their lead sheet (4 bar intro) rather than mine (8 bar intro).

Looking forward to the next recording.

Rhys

Oops !

I seemed to feel something strange !:)

I have buyed a bundle of some Hal Leonard backing tracks delivered online by download without a score book and yesterday I have played too quick and dirty, one shot one record.

I have to do a new record.

Ciao and thanks.

Last edited:
Oops !

I seemed to feel something strange !:)

I have buyed a bundle of some Hal Leonard backing tracks delivered online by download without a score book and yesterday I have played too quick and dirty, one shot one record.

I have to do a new record.

Ciao and thanks.

The Hal Leonard arrangement is as follows:
  • four bar drum intro, sax pick up in the 4th bar going into ....
  • 32 bar tune (A A B A) [a chorus]
  • 2 x choruses for soloing over (64 bars in total)
  • 32 bar tune (A A B A)
  • Tag ending of a final four bars, which means play the final phrase two extra times (exactly like my lead sheet)

See if that works and then press record when you know your way !

Rhys

I was in the practice booth merrily putting my SOTM together when I was interrupted by my kids who seem to remember the promises I made to them much better than I do. So I stuck together the bits that I have, for now. I thought this was a nice tune to try sop and tenor together (Rhys did this on dolphin dance last month, and it sounded pretty cool, so why not!) I'll have another go later at making a complete version. Since getting the soprano, I think my tenor playing has got a little more wobbly than before.

Nice and relaxed and that takes care of both Bb saxes. You played the head very well.

Tuning was sounding good on both saxes, but over my headphones the tenor was louder than the soprano. How did you mix them and did you pan them to separate points across the mix from left to right ?

Rhys

I mix using Studio One because that's the software that came with the Presonus audio interface I have. It has an ipad app associated with it so i can take it to the cellar and record takes and then copy them into the song project on the pc. It's very simple to use but I don't really have much of a clue about getting the mix right. And I did that one in a bit of a hurry. I didn't think about the panning. The panning is just the default setting. I suppose the two instruments should be separated a bit(?). I'll spend a bit more time on the next version.

It will work better if the two saxes are clearly separated - where you put them would depend on the other instruments in the mix (the backing track in this case). In Audacity I would probably pan the sop and tenor 25% left and 25% right or something.

Rhys

It will work better if the two saxes are clearly separated - where you put them would depend on the other instruments in the mix (the backing track in this case). In Audacity I would probably pan the sop and tenor 25% left and 25% right or something.

Rhys
Out of curiosity, where would you pan the backing track in that case?

Good choice of tune . Thank you for the slower backing tracks , It is a great encouragement for the less experienced player like me.

Rhys
Yes, sounds better with the instruments separated L/R a bit. Also lowered the tenor in the head a bit.

Back
Top Bottom