support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM June 2019 - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

Thanks! I always feel I must add the disclaimer that I have been playing other instruments and listening to the finest saxophone players for around a half-century. One regret I have is that I spent a few weeks on tour with Red Holloway and had I been learning then, I could have driven him nuts for lessons, as he was one amazing player.

The best players don't always make the best teachers. In that case, you learn most by playing with them. Conversely the best teachers aren't always the best players. In that case it's do as I say, not as I do ;)

Heres a little version from this am. It really was the 1st and only take so its not very good or in tune but i liked the backing I produced in BIAB so thought i,d post. I will have to listen to others when i connect to free wifi somewhere.

Heres a little version from this am. It really was the 1st and only take so its not very good or in tune but i liked the backing I produced in BIAB so thought i,d post. I will have to listen to others when i connect to free wifi somewhere.

I think I prefer your BIAB backing to the one I made. What style did you use?

I think I prefer your BIAB backing to the one I made. What style did you use?
Not 100% about style .I usually start with congas and accostic bass and add guitar and strings or a synth this one had bodhran on it originally
I hope to do this again tomorrow am probably on sop again but maybe tenor. I will possibly get the chance to listen other takes on free WiFi this evening.

After hearing rhysonsax's recording, I was inspired to make my own.

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555/swing-low-sweet-chariot

Sticky keys turned the key change into a brief minor section, but besides that, I'm fairly happy with it, could have used some tidying up in places note wise and some tighter intonation though. Microphones make me nervous, even if they're in my bedroom and nobody else is home.
One thing that I thought made my "quartet" sound a little better, I'd say a little warmer, was panning the "members" left and right. I did Alto 1 10 right, Alto 2 20 left, Tenor 1 10 left, and Tenor 2 20 right.
Alto: YTS 62, Optimum AL3, Traditional 3.5
Tenor: YTS 62, optimum TL3, Traditional 3.5

After hearing rhysonsax's recording, I was inspired to make my own.

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555/swing-low-sweet-chariot
I

Sticky keys turned the key change into a brief minor section, but besides that, I'm fairly happy with it, could have used some tidying up in places note wise and some tighter intonation though. Microphones make me nervous, even if they're in my bedroom and nobody else is home.
One thing that I thought made my "quartet" sound a little better, I'd say a little warmer, was panning the "members" left and right. I did Alto 1 10 right, Alto 2 20 left, Tenor 1 10 left, and Tenor 2 20 right.
Alto: YTS 62, Optimum AL3, Traditional 3.5
Tenor: YTS 62, optimum TL3, Traditional 3.5
I like that very much! Not the style of music I would normally listen to but I really enjoyed it, I've listened to it twice now for a third time.

I think that helps and I really enjoyed your recording.

For my recordings of saxophone quartet using Audacity I have settled on panning 70 and 20 left and 20 and 70 right. With a bit of reverb to tie everything together and give a sense of playing in a room, that seems to work OK when listening back on headphones or speakers.

Rhys

Ive forgotten to share where my arrangement came from!
I got it off of musescore, from a Paulo Daniel Jimenez. All I did was press the transpose button 4 times and change some notes that were out if range (getting a bari and soprano is sounding better and better, Nigel)

My friend John was down from Edinburgh this week and dropped in for a visit on Thursday. He brought an "electronic chanter" rather than the full bagpipes and we had fun recording them into Audacity with a BiaB backing track I had made. That backing was based on the Sonny Rollins live recording which featured Rufus Harley on bagpipes.

This afternoon I have added a tenor sax track to John's double tracked bagpipes and here is the result:
Swing Low Sweet Chariot - John Pipes + Rhys tenor sax V2a.mp3 - Box

Rhys

My friend John was down from Edinburgh this week and dropped in for a visit on Thursday. He brought an "electronic chanter" rather than the full bagpipes and we had fun recording them into Audacity with a BiaB backing track I had made. That backing was based on the Sonny Rollins live recording which featured Rufus Harley on bagpipes.

This afternoon I have added a tenor sax track to John's double tracked bagpipes and here is the result:
Swing Low Sweet Chariot - John Pipes + Rhys tenor sax V2a.mp3 - Box

Rhys

That brought a smile to my face - great fun! :clapping:
Bagpipes with a calypso feel.