support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM June 2017 - Game of Thrones

Tiberius

So, I get to choose a song I want to play for my Birthday month.

In anticipation of series 7 next month…I’ve chosen the theme from Game of Thrones. The accepted abbreviation is GoT…not G of T :)

In spite of being a fairly modern tune, there are several versions around, in some quite different styles, which I will cover in a bit.

The tune is mostly in a minor key, but with short migrations into Major, which the composer says was done to capture the backstabbing nature of the storyline.

The first taster is from Mark Maxwell also known as Dr Saxlove on YouTube, I love the silky smooth tone…but of course I recognise that not everyone loves smooth jazz, so we’ll perhaps come to versions for you misguided people later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqENBYS1wVk

Second, here is a video of Mark explaining how he created the above. I found this very interesting, but I’m sure most of it will be ‘old news’ to the more experience members.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELuCfclnLac

There are a number of sax versions, including one labelled as a ‘sax quartet’, but it’s one guy playing different saxes (alto, bari, and what looks like a very large soprano?).

Next, I hate Cello music, but. This is brilliant. Played with so much energy and enthusiasm, along with the above version, it’s got to be my favourite.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRAb9cwHnA

Finally, this song sounds good on guitar. There’s a number of metal versions, I like this one. Charlie has another more ‘studio’ version, but I like this raw ‘one take’ version. If this doesn't get your head banging, then you're a lost cause :)

YouTube

Chris has done is usual and supplied a couple of backing tracks/sheets which can be obtained from here:

G of T.zip - Box

Secondly, we have even more choice than usual this month. I contacted Mark Maxwell and told him about this thread and he has given me permission to share out my copy of his backing track. The rules are that you can use it for this thread, but if you want to use it somewhere else, for a gig or busking etc, then you’ll need to buy your own copy from his site. This file can be downloaded from here:

Game Of Thrones MM.zip - Box

There are many ways to play this, so hopefully you'll all find something to your taste.

A final plea to the less experienced. In some parts it sounds quite fast, but most of the work seems to be the backing. The melody is not difficult to play at all, have a go.

Last edited:
Oh no my ears:

Not every version is as successful as the ones above, here are a selection of…err…well….can I have those 3 minutes of my life back please:

First, we have the royal brass band or some such playing outside I think Buckingham Palace. Now while I appreciate the effort that must have gone into creating this, it just sounds like a waste of a lot of people time to me, it just doesn’t excite me like the Cello version above.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59SiA4Yg0A

Next…now this one is so bad, it’s actually quite good…just watch…

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wro0VE6i-XM

Finally, browsing on YouTube, I came across someone playing it on Bagpipes…I wasn’t even brave enough to listen…

my mini brass band recorded a quick funky version of it for a laugh...including an opening sequence (game of trombones)..we were going to release it on Facebook about a week before the show comes out. I'll put a link up when we publish it. And until then...I'll post my own version, watch this space! Valar Morghulis.

Thank you @Tiberius and @Chris for this (and Mark Maxwell) :)
I wondered if the er, backing sheet music (da da, da-da da da, etc) which seems to go with the MM version was available in the same key as the melody line from Chris' (I'm using Bb parts). It looks as if it's been created on music writing software and therefore might be transposable if you had access to the program file.
Otherwise it's a great transcription challenge for me ;)
Ps Am I being dumb here? - I'm determined not to let fear of looking a fool stop me asking:)

Last edited:
ah...the first version Chris wrote is in B minor I think, the other versions, include Mark's are all in D Minor (on a Tenor)...although, for some reason, Bb seems to fit better than B unflat...although I digress.

The sheets for Marks version for different instruments are available here, (links at the bottom of the page):

Mark Maxwell Music - Game Of Thrones

But that's probably not going to give you what you want...i.e. melody in B minor (on a Tenor), so I'm afraid it's a transcription job...or just wing it, that's what I usually do when I can't play something. Those files were kindly donated by Mark, so I don't have them to alter I'm afraid.

I suppose another options would be to migrate that backing from B minor into D minor.

Don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding this quite easy to play, apart from the top D which sounds poo, should have an improved version to post later this weekend :)

Ok, go for this weekend, off to Scarborough tomorrow for the day. I think this is an improvement over the first one, starting to get more of a feel for it and getting control of the top D too...sometimes a bit :)

Still far from a finished product of course, need to work more ideas into the solo section and some of the 'lead in' notes don't quick 'fit', I play them a bit quick I think, but all in I like playing this one.

GOT170603b.mp3 - Box

The tune is growing on me and I particularly like the saxophone quartet version on YouTube with the downloadable parts. I want to try that out at the next rehearsal of the sax quartet I play bari in - something a bit different with lots of interesting features in the arrangement.

I recorded all four parts myself using a click track (since removed). I found that it didn't seem to benefit from reverb, so I left all four saxophones dry and just panned them across the mix and tried to balance the volume levels.

Gane of Thrones - Rhys Sax Qrtet V1.wav - Box

Rhys

Yeah that's spot on Rhys. when I saw the sax quartet version I wondered if you would have a go. I might get my soprano out and have a play, but I don't reeli like playing alto, and I don't have a bari to tempt me :)

Yeah that's spot on Rhys. when I saw the sax quartet version I wondered if you would have a go. I might get my soprano out and have a play, but I don't reeli like playing alto, and I don't have a bari to tempt me :)

You can make a baritone sound by recording alto and slowing it down to half speed in Audacity or something. Just play it twice as fast and watch out for the low A which is a struggle on most altos.

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom