support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM July 2020 : Norwegian Wood

The "Guido" method: don't look at the score, listen to the music, close your eyes and blow whatever comes from inside ;)
And there are several posts on this forum suggesting ways to learn and links to videos with same.

The "Guido" method: don't look at the score, listen to the music, close your eyes and blow whatever comes from inside ;)
Thanks. I don’t ever use sheet music any more but I’ve only been doing this since I bought my soprano. I improvise but it’s not quite as colourful as yours.

@ajmiller nice job! I too often shorten songs. One of the pleasures of listening to the monthly tunes is how different each rendition is. In a song whose melody is this simple, it's really interesting to hear the infinite variations possible of notes, rhythm, dynamics and articulation. Thanks for contributing. May this be the beginning of a long history!

Thanks everyone. @randulo - I’ve enjoyed doing this and I’m keen to carry on contributing as I did learn loads. Unfortunately, I’m in hospital from tomorrow for a major op so will be out of action for a good part of 6 weeks. As the big fella says though - I’ll be back! :thumb:

Thanks everyone. @randulo - I’ve enjoyed doing this and I’m keen to carry on contributing as I did learn loads. Unfortunately, I’m in hospital from tomorrow for a major op so will be out of action for a good part of 6 weeks. As the big fella says though - I’ll be back! :thumb:
Good luck. I'm sure you know you can still work on your music by listening, not only for pleasure, but for edification. Also you probably do what most of us do, play in your head, while the body heals.

I’m in hospital from tomorrow for a major op so will be out of action for a good part of 6 weeks. As the big fella says though - I’ll be back! :thumb:

Good luck with the surgery. Is that 6 weeks with no playing or could it be an opportunity? I just had prostate surgery and was told to take it easy for at least 6/weeks. I tried a sneaky blow on the sax after 1 week and had no problems. 2 weeks on now and listening to my body the message is I can play as long as I want with no discomfort. I have managed to retain my chops although I’m not yet lifting any bags of cement. Use those 6 weeks to do (only) what is comfortable, and make the most of enjoying them!

@David Dorning thank you. The consultant said 6 weeks to full recovery. I did ask him about playing sax and if I can do it without discomfort he thought a couple of weeks - he said it would be good to keep the lungs going as chest infections can be problematic after operations. I suppose it all depends on how the operation goes.

@David Dorning thank you. The consultant said 6 weeks to full recovery. I did ask him about playing sax and if I can do it without discomfort he thought a couple of weeks - he said it would be good to keep the lungs going as chest infections can be problematic after operations. I suppose it all depends on how the operation goes.

Yes, some aspects recover more quickly than others. Hope it all goes well.

Good luck and hope to hear back from you soon!

I’m in hospital from tomorrow for a major op so will be out of action for a good part of 6 weeks. As the big fella says though - I’ll be back! :thumb:
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Jx

These woods have more than hedgehogs living in them, warning soundscape ahead .
A very creative take on the SOTM. For some reason, the first time I clicked I heard a song that had a lot of singing and wasn't the right melody. This morning, I checked again and was pleased to hear the melody followed by quite a voyage through the woods!

Warning: we are approaching the end of July! Repeat... no I won't, it was just for effect.
The SOTM live on, but if you've been trying to get this done while it's a living project, please do! Next week, a new song and a new month.
Come take a ride in the wood. The Norwegian Wood.

Back
Top Bottom