Tutorials

SOTM July 2019 - Free Jazz!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I have been asked to host this month, it will be a little unusual.

More details to follow, a bit hectic here this morning but I will post the sound clips this afternoon. Sorry for the delay

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
OK, the "tune" is one I posted here:

Sort of free jazz and I was very surprised when Nigeld suggested we Make it SOTM

The track is one I produced for TV production music, and is not what I'd call legit free jazz - but this may be a bit of fun. (Obviously the title is a bit tongue in cheek)

There is no key, no real melody (as the track itself is all improvised on the spot, but Nigeld has done a great job of transcribing. I was not 100% serious when I mentioned transcribing but he made a great effort here and deserves a big round of applause for taking it on. But I did suggest he didn't do the whole thing and this advice may have helped him keep his sanity. So the PDFs do have the initial bit of the alto impro in Eb and Bb for those who feel they want to play that. Personally, I would not be able to.

So you can basically play whatever you like. Freedom! Rights notes wrong notes the distinction is blurred.

The track itself you will notice has some trumpet and trombone, I am providing two backing tracks - one with those so you can maybe "play off" what they are doing and also a backing track that is just bass drums and piano. Purists would say this

I have never lost my love of genres associated with free jazz and the great players Ornette Coleman, Joe Harriot etc. My formative playing I was involved in free workshops with Maggie Nichols and John Stevens, doing gigs with Derek Bailey, Charles Hayward, Paul Lytton and Pat Evans.

Optional Transcriptions:

Descension Eb.pdf
Descension Bb.pdf

Backing tracks attached

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
The view of 'Free Jazz' has always been "When music becomes noise"
By some people. To whom before any argument breaks out I would refer to Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman.

Other people might refer to any jazz as "When music becomes noise"

perhaps though a discussion of the merits (or not) of free jazz should be another thread, so we keep this for those having a go.

jbtsax

Subscriber
While I have the greatest respect for the skill and creativity demonstrated playing this "style", I have to admit that I don't understand or enjoy listening to this type of music. It may be related to my age and generation I grew up in, but music to me has to have a well defined melody, harmony, and form. No offense to Pete, but I'm going to sit this one out and see what others can do with it, and try to keep an open mind.

Greg Strange

OK, the "tune" is one I posted here:

Sort of free jazz and I was very surprised when Nigeld suggested we Make it SOTM

The track is one I produced for TV production music, and is not what I'd call legit free jazz - but this may be a bit of fun. (Obviously the title is a bit tongue in cheek)

There is no key, no real melody (as the track itself is all improvised on the spot, but Nigeld has done a great job of transcribing. I was not 100% serious when I mentioned transcribing but he made a great effort here and deserves a big round of applause for taking it on. But I did suggest he didn't do the whole thing and this advice may have helped him keep his sanity. So the PDFs do have the initial bit of the alto impro in Eb and Bb for those who feel they want to play that. Personally, I would not be able to.

So you can basically play whatever you like. Freedom! Rights notes wrong notes the distinction is blurred.

The track itself you will notice has some trumpet and trombone, I am providing two backing tracks - one with those so you can maybe "play off" what they are doing and also a backing track that is just bass drums and piano. Purists would say this

I have never lost my love of genres associated with free jazz and the great players Ornette Coleman, Joe Harriot etc. My formative playing I was involved in free workshops with Maggie Nichols and John Stevens, doing gigs with Derek Bailey, Charles Hayward, Paul Lytton and Pat Evans.

Optional Transcriptions:

Descension Eb.pdf
Descension Bb.pdf

Backing tracks attached
In my opinion Joe Harriott is criminally neglected, undervalued and underrated. Sometime ago UK company Proper Records Ltd. put out 4 album compilation box set called "The Joe Harriott Story" which covers Joe's playing from the early 1950s to the late 1960s. Essential listening for any budding alto players and any long time alto players who haven't heard of this great player. Joe had a great tone and play any genres within the jazz idiom. When I first heard Joe Harriott's playing I said to myself "Why haven't I heard of this guy before?".

Greg S.

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I had thought of it as a provocation... or possibly just the end cadenza.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
It's the end of the month, so many thanks to @Pete Thomas for hosting this Song Of The Month, and to the free-jazz souls who have contributed recordings.

The thread will remain open, so it's never too late to add a new contribution.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
And many thanks for everyone who contributed, either with the backing track or without (being "free")

altissimo
randulo
Nick Wyver
Francisco
Jules

Great stuff - we maybe should have an ongoing thread for more free jazz, or semi-free jazz.

Top Bottom