support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM July 2018 “Our Day Will Come”

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
I have been entrusted with SOTM for July. I have chosen a song written in 1962 "Our Day Will Come" with Ruby & the Romantics, recorded in a bossa nova style; featuring a classic Hammond organ solo, was selected for release as a single in December 1962 and reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1963. It was in 1961 that I passed the 11+ and was given a large supposedly portable KB transistor radio as a reward and began my music listening days, and I remember it well. Recorded by many artists since, including Sonny Stitt. My own favourite apart from the original is the Amy Winehouse, I'm a sucker for female vocalists, version recorded in 2002 and posthumously released in 2011.
I've not yet done my own take but will do soon.

The files including a swing & Bossa style wav backing, .xml, BIAB, & PDFs can be found here.

OUR DAY WILL COME - Box

View: https://youtu.be/CxYRbzGi8Rg

I had assumed it was a synthesiser. Otherwise a bari player with lungs of steel.

The Moog synthesizer devoloped by Robert Moog was one of the first which began developement around 1963, one of the first record releases was Switched on Bach around 1967 an up tempo of his most well known pieces. So I guess it was a bari player with lungs of steel, or maybe distortion of the bass on the Hammond in the recording.
Sorry got this all wrong cotton wool in ears and for a brain disregard this post and me!:oops:

Last edited:
The Moog synthesizer devoloped by Robert Moog was one of the first which began developement around 1963, one of the first record releases was Switched on Bach around 1967 an up tempo of his most well known pieces. So I guess it was a bari player with lungs of steel, or maybe distortion of the bass on the Hammond in the recording.

@nigeld was talking about the version recorded by Amy.

Of course, these days the bari player could have recorded the relevant notes or phrases a couple of times and it could all have been copied and pasted in the studio's Digital Audio workstation (DAW) software (Pro Tools or whatever) locked tight to the click track..

Rhys

Been away for a couple of days. Seems I might have chosen a bum steer, as not one post as yet. I’ve returned home with a recurrence of a ranula on my lower lip. Initially caused by a 10M sax snakebite not long after I purchased the thing. I therefore won't be posting for a couple of days.
Al

Definitely not a “bum steer”. I’ve been learning it.
Sorry you’re unable to play :( I hope you are much better in a few days.

Thank you @Alice. The lip problem usually takes 4-5 days to resolve so hopefully Mon Tues next week. I do find it very frustrating when not able to play for whatever reason, even on holiday I’m thinking about missed practice.

I hope your lip is soon mended Al. I agree with Alice and definitely wouldn't call this tune a 'bum steer' I had heard Amy's version before but wasn't familiar with Ruby and the Romantics at all so thank you for that.

As far as recordings go it's a slow month with holidays, the World Cup, Wimbledon and gorgeous UK weather so don't be disheartened.

The harmony on the sheet didn't quite work for me so I've changed the arrangement. BiaB can generate , not the wrong chords but there are more relevant chords and inversions to my ear. Saxophone could use a little work but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the tone the mic had captured. Tried a different position, down low and left and plug the lead in the right hole in the laptop. :rolleyes: Took me ages to learn the words. Just couldn't seem to find the story. However, I'm quite pleased on the whole. Can't wait to get it on the ipod and expose it to my public ;)

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/our-day-will-come

I'm just old enough to vaguely remember this song (I was 8 years old when it released) but I haven't heard it since then. Looking it up on Wikipedia, it really has stood the test of time! A great choice @U CAN CALL ME AL!

I really love the Amy Winehouse and Jamie Cullum versions! Now that my Big Band rehearsals are winding down for the summer, I hope to contribute a few SOTM recordings again (after too many years). This SOTM is a great one to start with!

I listened to a couple of recordings and IMHO Doris Day's version deserves a mention too. I knew the name 'Doris Day' and I've always thought that she was an actress, But I liked her timing and dynamics on this recording. Not better, just different to the ones already posted.

Last edited:
@Colin the Bear it was certainly worth the wait. Congratulations on being first post. I wondered if you would do a vocal and very nice it was too, I hope it may become part of your repertoire. I really do think you should expose yourselft to the public!

Doris Day was a big band singer in the late 1930's before she made it even bigger in films. Her first hit was Sentimental Journey 1945 Les Brown. She recorded an album quite recently... well 2011

I love it, @Colin the Bear! As always, you set a great example!

The harmony on the sheet didn't quite work for me so I've changed the arrangement. BiaB can generate , not the wrong chords but there are more relevant chords and inversions to my ear. Saxophone could use a little work but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the tone the mic had captured. Tried a different position, down low and left and plug the lead in the right hole in the laptop. :rolleyes: Took me ages to learn the words. Just couldn't seem to find the story. However, I'm quite pleased on the whole. Can't wait to get it on the ipod and expose it to my public ;)

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/our-day-will-come

Back
Top Bottom