support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM July 2018 “Our Day Will Come”

Hi @wuffysax Great to have you here. Glad you liked the choice of song and what an absolutely cracking version. It certainly succeeded, look forward to hearing from you again. Regards Al

Here is my quick and dirty take for this month SOTM. Have a new Windows 10 laptop and got some issues with my recording equipment, giving a lot of bleeding of the backing in the sax only track (hope to sort that out before the next month recording session).

- 'Our Day Will Come' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
MP3 Player SoundClick

Thanks for posting this @mrpeebee. I wish my bleedin’ takes were like this! What can I say, a very happy sounding take, like the way you played about with the timing of the melody and the walkabout in the impro.
I’ve not used Windows for 12 years or so so no help as to what the issues might be. Like yourself I find it annoying that change just one cog in the chain and everything goes pear shaped, if I’m allowed to say that anymore, non PC mods?
Edit addition BLEED

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this @mrpeebee. I wish my bleedin’ takes were like this! What can I say, a very happy sounding take, like the way you played about with the timing of the melody and the walkabout in the impro.
I’ve not used Windows for 12 years or so so no help as to what the issues might be. Like yourself I find it annoying that change just one cog in the chain and everything goes pear shaped, if I’m allowed to say that anymore, non PC mods?
Edit addition BLEED

Thanks Al.. :)

About the bleeding: I already found some possible corrections on the internet. My headphone (to listen to the backing) and USB port are mounted into the some soundcard connector of my new laptop and that can cause bleeding when recording and listening through headphones at the same time. I maybe can prevent that by using another USB port on the other side of the laptop, but that's a USB 3 port and my (old) USB mic is type 2 port (so it doesn't fit). I will have to buy a USB 3 -> 2 connector first to be able to test if this solves the bleeding issue.

Another issue during editing and playback of music (I use Audacity for that) in Windows 10 can also cause a sound delay of 2 seconds, which I also have since the 'upgraded' hard- and software. For that I also found a possible solution:
Solved: Headphone sound starts after 2 seconds delay - HP Support Forum - 6339755

Now I need some time to get this all up and running to as it was. Long life modern technology! :(

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! I really enjoyed the takes and comments don’t be afraid to to post after the sell by date, it will still get a listen and comment:) This may seem a little premature but away for a couple of days and wifi will be restricted.

As far as I'm aware usb 2 and usb three are interchangeable.

"The new ports are what is called “backwards compatible,” meaning they will fit into a USB 2.0 port just fine."

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 - What's the Difference and Does It Matter? - Computer Planet

You're correct Collin, thanks for that.

I didn't write the correct port configuration of my new laptop above. What I have is this:
- 2x USB 3.1 (Gen1, 5Gb/s)
- 1x USB 3.1 (Gen1, type-c, 5Gb/s)

My old USB mic (USB 2.0) fits in the new USB 3.1 ports, but both are on the same board as my head phone plug (causing bleeding).
My new USB port 3.1 type c is at the other side of the laptop, but the USB mic doesn't fit in that connector.

So I first need a convertor before I can try out that type c port with my old USB mic, probably something like this:
USB 3.1 Type C,NewLobo(TM) 1Pack 3.3ft/1m Reversible Design Hi-speed Micro USB 3.1 Type C Female to Standard Type A USB 3.0 Male Data Cable for Type-C Supported Devices (3.3ft/1m,1Pack)-White:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

Back
Top Bottom