support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM July 2017 -'And now for something completely different'

Love it, Colin! 10/10 for expression and timing! This is without doubt my all-time favourite sax-tune.

Many years ago, I got into a 'fight' with my then sax-tutor. He was a classical sax-player/tutor and (although at the time I played in a classical wind orchestra) what I really wanted was to learn how to play jazz. And this was the tune I wanted to learn to play! Eventually we comprised by my learning to play the the tune exactly from 'the notes' without any deviation. No interpretation, no expression unless indicated.

It's great to hear a much freer version after all these years. This is the way I'd have loved to have been able to play it!

Mike

Another of my all time favourite songs! Great to hear it on sop.!

Well done!
Mike

my Soppy version for the month:-
View attachment 9208

When it was first shown around 1968 I watched it three times in succession in a single day back when they didn't kick you out of the cinema if it wasn't busy. I have watched it numerous times since but would probably do so again if at a loose end.

I haven't posted here in more than a year (though I'm still hoping for a last-ditch attempt in July) so I'm hesitant to suggest anything. But I do like the the theme/genre approach. How about the 'musical' genre?
Anything from the Gershwin brothers to Rodgers and Hammerstein, Elton John & Bernie Taupin and anything in between. There are so many great songs that were written for musicals.

Just a thought,

Mike
Guys you have all been a 'little' busy>:) round here :clapping: Still over a week left in the month BUT, I would like everyone to have a think about a topic/genre for next months SOTM. PM me and we can have a chat about it and see if you would like to host the month. A couple of examples, songs recorded by a certain musician eg any song recorded by Stan Getz or The Beatles, songs from a particular year might be your birth year, or just a fav year for you. Perhaps even No1 hits from a certain year.

Chris..:)

and what exactly is stopping you now :)

Jx
Haha, you're completely right of course Jeanette! Good comment. I may have a go over the Big Band 'summer break'.

Do you do on-line 'personal coaching'? I have a whole lot of other things I would have liked to have done. PM me and we can negotiate your rate ;)

Mike

This certainly was 'something different' (from Big Band music) for me! I noticed the SOTM theme on Monday and I've spent most of the past 4 days working out which notes to play and when.

It's been more than a year since I recorded myself and I realise (once again) how valuable it is. Recording this painfully brought home to me how long it's been since I worked on my tone, long notes, intonation,reeds, etc. instead of just 'learning more notes'. Over the past 4 days, I regretted ever picking out this tune, but despite everything, I still like it - the original, that is:
View: https://youtu.be/NBE-uBgtINg

I got into all sorts of problems matching 'dots' with a backing track and I ended up just changing the pitch of the backing track to match my 'dots' (which very roughly to correspond the backing track!).

[ View: https://soundcloud.com/mike-morrell-765250389/now-we-are-free-mike-mix2

View: https://soundcloud.com/mike-morrell-765250389/now-we-are-free-mike

Note: this mix (is to my ear) better balanced than the first one I posted.

Last edited:
Guys only Mike has come up with a suggestion for August's sotm:confused:

So with that in mind and seeing how well this genre has been doing I suggest we keep this thread running and live for the month of 'August' which should give you time to 1) Post more music 2) Decide what we should play next month.:)

Chris:)

So, a success AND a failure at the same time :) only at the cafe could that happen...

However I don't mind, there's a load more I want to do in this one, just need some free time...amd maybe my new studio completed :)

For anyone who has been following, it is now going up rather than down :)

This was from way back I'd forgotten about it until browsing through some old playalong books so here is the real cheesy, get you hankies out girls if you remember it. Leblanc Rationale alto, Selmer S90 MP, Legere Signature reed 2 1/2. The reverb was added through a Roland amp at the recording stage and no post editing. Single take.

This was from way back I'd forgotten about it until browsing through some old playalong books so here is the real cheesy, get you hankies out girls if you remember it. Leblanc Rationale alto, Selmer S90 MP, Legere Signature reed 2 1/2. The reverb was added through a Roland amp at the recording stage and no post editing. Single take.

Oh I used to love that tune, lovely reminder

Jx

It was a great surprise to hear this song again after so many years! I was was a Cliff Richard fan from an early age and 'Summer Holiday' was the first film that I (8 or 9 years old at the time) went to see at my local cinema.

I grew up in a village close to Swansea so I know how wet Wales can be sometimes ;)
Mike

While I've nothing better to do and it's lashing down with rain here in wet Welsh Wales, this one always raises a smile from the baby boomers when busking, particularly when I screw up the key change to 6♯. CLICK PICTURE

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom