All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

SOTM July 2017 -'And now for something completely different'

Tiberius

Damn, I was going to do MASH, too.
One of the dangers of the theme as opposed to a set SOTM is that people will think they have to do something different to everyone else. That really. Wasn't my intention when I suggested it.

In fact, one of the things I was hoping to see perhaps is that the more experienced players may make their own backing/score/assistance available when they post.

The problem that seemed to be developing with SOTM was that if a particular song wasn't your genre, then people didn't have a go. Looking back at the popular SOTM entries, they were very heavily leant towards the 'standard American Songbook', i.e. when the SOTM was a regular jazz ballad, then it was popular, when it was something different, it wasn't.

With a theme, it's easier to find something that's in your genre I think.

Tiberius

There's a few movie tunes that I've had a go at over my learning, in fact one of the first books I ever got was something like Music from the Movies, sadly I don't remember where I put it, somewhere up in the attic, and I don't really remember what was in it (Harry Potter was in it, I remember).

But, thoughts I'd just have an initial go, see if I can remember any, or if I can find sheets music that my teacher did for me. Later in the month I'll put a few together with some backing, but for today, it's just me playing. I'm not goint to name the tunes, hopefully they're recognisable enough :)

Here's no.1:

Movies1.mp3 - Box

sorry...I can't get low C# out :)

jbtsax

Subscriber
Who will be brave enough to do The Pink Panther :)
Uhhhh. :) Actually this tune was part of the summer program the big band I play 2nd tenor in, and as luck would have it, the 1st tenor player had a conflict on the last gig so I got to play the 1st tenor book and the Pink Panther solo. Needless to say I worked my butt off to play the Plas Johnson transcribed solo written in the part. Here is my best effort at a recording. (the backing track is not that good, but it is like the original band recording)

https://soundcloud.com/jbtsax%2Fthe-pink-panther

jbtsax

Subscriber
Hello!

I'm trying to play the sax for about three years now. Last October I did this song from the movie "Days of Thunder"...

Greetings

last
Wow. Your tone and pitch are extremely well developed for having only played 3 years. I enjoyed your recording and am looking forward to hearing many more in the future.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
While I was practicing for some busking tomorrow, I thought I'd record this, and then I realised it fitted the SOTM theme.

So, I proudly present.... From the film Casablanca .... As Time Goes By

https://soundcloud.com/mandyh%2Fsotm-july-2017-as-time-goes-by View: https://soundcloud.com/mandyh/sotm-july-2017-as-time-goes-by

Having re-read the OP, I think I might have bent the rules slightly, so here is an alternative.
I don't know if this is a worldwide TV programme, or just BBC in the UK, but this tune is used as the title song for the "Film xxxx" film review series of TV programmes, the domain of the recently deceased Barry Norman.
"I wish I knew how it would feel to be free" :

https://soundcloud.com/mandyh%2Fsotm-july-2017-i-wish-i-knew View: https://soundcloud.com/mandyh/sotm-july-2017-i-wish-i-knew

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber

rhysonsax

I really like the theme this month and have lots of ideas to post - I just need the time to practise and record.

The first is a mystery show from British TV in the 70s when it was the height of sophistication for people of my age (i.e. young and naive). But for bonus points, what was the show, who starred, who wrote the theme tune ?

TV Mystery - Rhys sop V1.wav - Box

Still playing my R&C saxello, this time with a S80 mouthpiece that gives it an oboish sound that I thought was quite appropriate.

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
@MandyH - I could listen to your first recording on my computer, but right now I only jave an iPad, and neither recording will play. I think there is something in the Soundcloud permissions about allowing the track to be played as embedded from the browser.

jimmylh

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
@MandyH - I could listen to your first recording on my computer, but right now I only jave an iPad, and neither recording will play. I think there is something in the Soundcloud permissions about allowing the track to be played as embedded from the browser.
hi Nigel,
I've just changed the settings / permissions to be the same as the previous track, so hopefully you can listen now?

I uploaded via iPad and the Soundcloud App, and I can never find the permissions tab (if it's even in the app!), and my husband is currently re-building my Desktop PC, so I've had to scrounge an offspring's laptop to edit it. :rofl:

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom