Subscriber
Locality
Kent

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
It is a long time since I heard anything from Cat Stvens, curiously enough I was given the music for "How Can I Tell You" as part of a Christmas present.
I shall have to have a look at this.

OP
Alice

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Locality
Kent
It is a long time since I heard anything from Cat Stvens, curiously enough I was given the music for "How Can I Tell You" as part of a Christmas present.
I shall have to have a look at this.
I love the song "How can I tell You"!
All of the (non Jazz and Blues) music that I really love is from the Sixties and Seventies.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
There's a difference between a good record and a good song. Yusuf made some good records. The tune itself is like a child's nursery rhyme. Popular up the folk club with string players. Not much to challenge the woodwind player. The story is in the lyric.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Locality
KIC 8462852
There's a difference between a good record and a good song. Yusuf made some good records. The tune itself is like a child's nursery rhyme. Popular up the folk club with string players. Not much to challenge the woodwind player. The story is in the lyric.
The 'challenge' is what a woodwind player can make of it.

OP
Alice

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Locality
Kent
Sorry @Colin the Bear .... Perhaps you'd like to host instead and think of a tune? I didn't have very much time to think of one and had a lot of various possibilities running through my mind. If I've messed up, I apologise. I've been playing the sax for 17 months.

Paul the other one

Locality
UK
What is simple to one person can be challenging to another. It takes imagination to turn a simple "child's nursery rhyme" into something amasing. Look at "My favorite things" and what John Coltrane was able to do with a simple "child's" song
The purpose of SOTM I would have thought is to encourage people to play thing they might not have otherwise thought of.
Paul

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Guys the whole idea behind the SOTM thread was/is to provide a playing thread that is not playing Jazz ballads. Any genre can be played from Punk to Classical. The host is given freedom to pick what they like, have a look back and you will see that this thread always seems to run second behind the BOTM thread??? :confused:

It's down to the players to make songs interesting, not the song to be interesting every time, to everyone:) It would be good to have some Classical one month:)

Chris...

OP
Alice

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Locality
Kent
I have to say, that one if the main reasons that I chose this song was because in the Jazz ballads you can swing it and in the Blues threads you can growl it but this song is folksy .. With the guitar accompaniment and it can be a singing voice to replace the vocals. I noticed that Morning has Broken was a chosen song in the past and that is a gentle, soft piece of music.
Some of the lyrics to this one reminded me of January, the lady's legs "feeling like Winter"...

Tiberius

Locality
England
Ok...had some fun with this. I've not played the notes, this is just improvisation. Ok, that's not quite true as the phrases copy bits of the melody, but it's quite a good tune for us beginners to improvise over as it's quite repetitive. Warning, there's a few bum notes, mostly when I forgot to hit the sharp key on the G, or left my finger on the C key. Interestingly, A doesn't quite fit sometimes, but does others...this is really just a first stab, I'll have more play later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/LadyD20170103.mp3

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
@Alice Cat Stephens was a favourite of mine. I think the lyrics should read "your lips feel like winter". No need to justify your choice, several of us have chosen what we thought was a corker only for it to turn into a damp squib. I'm busy with Gary Burtons' JI course at the moment but will try to find time to post a version. In the mean time

I like this guy's tone.​

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Sorry @Colin the Bear .... Perhaps you'd like to host instead and think of a tune? I didn't have very much time to think of one and had a lot of various possibilities running through my mind. If I've messed up, I apologise. I've been playing the sax for 17 months.
No need to apologise, thank you for hosting. It's good to have a variety of tunes to play :)

Jx

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
Locality
United Kingdom Manchester-ish
I think it's a great choice exactly because it's not something I would ever have chosen to play.
Rising to the challenge of a song out of my comfort zone as a tooter/parper is a good thing and I commend you for the choice, Alice.

...not that you'll ever hear my rendition *cough, cough* as I don't yet have the confidence to post anything.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6