All profit supporting  special needs music education

SOTM Jan 2022 - Jambalaya

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
This is a New Orleans R & B Rhumba style version.

There are two chords C and G7 and it's an 8 bar sequence round and round (Verse is 2 x 8 bars and chorus is 2 x bars). The melody for the verse is very similar to the chorus, which in some ways makes it easy to learn.

C | C | G7 |G7 |
G7 | G7 | C | C |

There is some sheet music at Musescore, but I'd highly recommend as this tune is so simple, that if you don't know then learn it enough to play without sheet music before having a go.

Assuming we just think of the solos as chorus, the full backing track form is

4 bar intro
Verse (16 bars) Chorus (16bars)
Chorus x 5 (with drum break at end as a cue so you don't need to count each chorus)
Verse Chorus

I will do some shorter versions if anyone asks for it but here is the full version.

https://cafesaxophone.com/x-audio/Jamba.mp3

Shorter version (better IMO)

4 bar intro

Verse (16 bars) Chorus (16 bars)
Chorus x 2 (32 bars then drum break at end as a cue so you don't need to count each chorus)

https://cafesaxophone.com/x-audio/JambaShorter.mp3

Last edited:

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Pete has recommended that we learn the song by heart, but here are some notes for those heartless members who need them (like me!).

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Sorry to hear yer unwell @Pete Thomas - all the best, get well soon.
I've been getting well soon for almost 3 years, I'm beginning to wonder about the medical profession.

Question: What's Fred Kemp doing in his solo at 9:35 - it sounds like a flutter - do you happen to know how he does it?

Having fun with this, 3 minutes is rather strenuous but I shall try to record something, a cafe sax first.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
it sounds like a flutter - do you happen to know how he does it?
It's fast tonguing, I call it "flick-tonguing" as you flick your tongue up and down

See here:

3 minutes is rather strenuous but I shall try to record something, a cafe sax first.
Well if you play the emelody at beginning and end then it cuts the soling right down, but I will do a shorter version if you like.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Hi @Pete Thomas are you going to post a rendition of you playing the song.....
I am attempting to play again (after many months of having problems, and can do some very short takes that maybe I can cobble together.
3 minutes is rather strenuous but I shall try to record something, a cafe sax first.
Yes, I just realised it is a bit long. I'll definitely put up a shorter version of that backing
mine is lacking growls, flutter tongue, altissimo screams and other such rock requirements. Nevertheless I will dare to post!
But it has a great feel, very melodic which I think is what works best with a song like that.

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Shorter version:

Chorus x 2 (32 bars then drum break at end as a cue so you don't need to count each chorus)

https://cafesaxophone.com/x-audio/JambaShorter.mp3

Thanks @Pete Thomas and I hope you are soon back to good health and playing.

Is this excellent backing track made of recorded audio from musicians (drums, bass and piano ?) in a studio or are any of the sounds created from samples, either with humans playing (e.g. Midi) or with clever software playing ?

Also, as the (very simple) chord pattern is the same for the verse and the chorus, presumably people could play the relevant melody bits over either section, or is there a difference in the "feel" of what is played by some of the rhythm section instruments between the two sections ?

Rhys

Last edited:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Is this excellent backing track made of recorded audio from musicians (drums, bass and piano ?) in a studio or are any of the sounds created from samples, either with humans playing (e.g. Midi) or with clever software playing ?
Yes

(clever software)
Also, as the (very simple) chord pattern is the same for the verse and the chorus, presumably people could play the relevant melody bits over either section,
Indeed.
or is there a difference in the "feel" of what is played by some of the rhythm section instruments between the two sections ?
No difference so gives you a lot of freedom

Top Bottom