support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM February 2021 "A weaver of dreams"

Hello, that chord is at bar 13 and 14 then in turns into minor. When I learn a song I learn ALL the chords. I know that E-7/A7/Dmaj are all in the key of D, but if I want to create some tension/release at that point I can alter the A7 with superlocrian or diminished scale (or other tools like substitution, upper structure ecc.) and then resolve it to D. So, playing the major scale is possible, but does not sound "jazz". Particularly in bebop and hard bop idioms altering the dominant (V) and then resolving on the tonic (I) is crucial and it is a charachteristic of that kind of music language. Of course I don't want to say that you must alter every V7, but it is important to know how to deal with it. If you look at my youtube channel there is a video about working on chords on a standard, I called it "chord workout". I don't want to link it here because I didn't play "a weaver of dreams"" on that video...
Great! Thank you. I will explore more.
Also, I think we are talking about the same bar, I forgot to remove the intro.

Hi all, I thought I'd get involved this month! It's been really cool listening to everyone's takes of this tune; like many of you I've never played it before, despite loving the Coltrane version from Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago.

This was the first time playing through, using SunnyBass' backing track.

Feedback appreciated !

View: https://soundcloud.com/saxforhire/a-weaver-of-dreams-for-cafe-saxophone/s-l2cKUrFITOv

Hi all, I thought I'd get involved this month! It's been really cool listening to everyone's takes of this tune; like many of you I've never played it before, despite loving the Coltrane version from Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago.

Feedback appreciated !

View: https://soundcloud.com/saxforhire/a-weaver-of-dreams-for-cafe-saxophone/s-l2cKUrFITOv
Sounds great!

Feedback appreciated !
Sounds good to me.
And it’s great to see new members posting their recordings.

Feedback appreciated !

Sounding great, looking forward to hearing more.

Jx

Feedback appreciated !

Thanks for your recording Dom, I am the "host" for this tune of the month.
Great, I like it very much.
Your playing is complete: good sound, good phrasing, good control of the horn, you know the changes, aritculation, substitutions, tension and release harmonic movement, and more...
I am happy that you participated, thanks.
In case you would like to hear my version, you can find it in the first post, at the beginning of this thread.
It is from "Crossthing", a 2013 record of mine.
Have a good week end.
Fabrizio

I finished my transcription of the Sonny Rollins trio TV recording that I posted earlier in this thread. It was interesting to see how he plays with the tempo and also how he generally avoids the highest range of the tenor in this performance - he only ventures up to E3 once. He also played it in concert Db (tenor Eb) and with a tempo of around 118bpm.

I took the YouTube Mr Sunnybass bass backing track in concert C, pushed him up to Db, chopped out a chorus and the ending and patched on a BiaB drum track. They played at 100bpm so I stuck with that tempo for my own tenor recording.

A Weaver Of Dreams (Rollins style) - Rhys tenor V1b.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Last edited:
Good @rhysonsax ! You did a fine job, but the hardest part is playing the rhythm that Rollins puts in his phrases. He also uses a very "asymmetrical" articulation and a charachteristic wide and fast vibrato. He is an unbelievable player, who changed many directions in his career. "Saxophone colossus", "Sonny on Impluse" and "East Broadway rundown" are very different directions. Maybe his direction is being a "sponateous improviser". He never repeated the same ideas twice....
Anyway good work Rhyson, transcribing and learning from the giants of the past that made jazz great is a lifelong experience to me, so we should never come to an "ending point".
There will be so many things to learn, music is vast, and jazz is imagination.

I was fortunate to see Sonny Rollins play live in large venues in London about six times in the 80s and 90s. Although it wasn't the peak period of his career or his sound (in my opinion), his performances were breathtaking - uplifting to hear, but also slightly dispiriting to think how unachievable it would be to play anything like that oneself.

I also watched the London premiere of the 1986 film "Saxophone Colossus" at which Sonny was present and was interviewed. He was very interesting and also modest.

Friends saw him play at Ronnie Scott's club in the 60s and 70s and say that he was even better then. But for me his peak period was about 1956 to 1959. Great sound, endless ideas, humour in his playing and immense swing.

Rhys

Maybe his direction is being a "sponateous improviser".
Well said! Rollins is one of a kind. I used to have a recording of a PBS show he played a few songs on, and that show was called "One of a Kind". I remember he played In a Sentimental Mood, and Keep Hold of Yourself, a kind of Mr PC clone, but of course, it was still Sonny. I think you can only learn to try to be spontaneous like Sonny, not play what he played, which varied each and every time he played.

I finished my transcription of the Sonny Rollins trio TV recording that I posted earlier in this thread. It was interesting to see how he plays with the tempo and also how he generally avoids the highest range of the tenor in this performance - he only ventures up to E3 once. He also played it in concert Db (tenor Eb) and with a tempo of around 118bpm.

I took the YouTube Mr Sunnybass bass backing track in concert C, pushed him up to Db, chopped out a chorus and the ending and patched on a BiaB drum track. They played at 100bpm so I stuck with that tempo for my own tenor recording.

A Weaver Of Dreams (Rollins style) - Rhys tenor V1b.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Nice job :thumb: I'm also a massive fan of Rollins especially thus version of the tune.

I was fortunate to see Sonny Rollins play live in large venues in London about six times in the 80s and 90s. Although it wasn't the peak period of his career or his sound (in my opinion), his performances were breathtaking - uplifting to hear, but also slightly dispiriting to think how unachievable it would be to play anything like that oneself.

I also watched the London premiere of the 1986 film "Saxophone Colossus" at which Sonny was present and was interviewed. He was very interesting and also modest.

Friends saw him play at Ronnie Scott's club in the 60s and 70s and say that he was even better then. But for me his peak period was about 1956 to 1959. Great sound, endless ideas, humour in his playing and immense swing.

Rhys
It's funny, because I was laying im bed last night thinking about Rollins, and I too used to prefer his playing in the late 50's. But I thought about my favourite albums and come up with a list, and very different styles.
The Freedom Suit
Live at the Village vanguard
The bridge
On Impulse
Way out west
Alfie
Next - especially everywhere calypso
Where things went a little odd for me was after that. Still on my top three players of all time.

Just for interest here are the dates of those recordings.

[1958] The Freedom Suite
[recorded 1957] Live at the Village vanguard
[1962] The bridge
[1965] On Impulse
[1957] Way out west
[1966] Alfie
[1972] Next - especially everywhere calypso

I would also add Saxophone Colossus, Newk's Time, Vol. 2, Sonny Side Up (with Dizzy and Stitt) and Trio Live in Europe 1959.

Sonny is in my top one of tenor players.

Rhys

Just for interest here are the dates of those recordings.

[1958] The Freedom Suite
[recorded 1957] Live at the Village vanguard
[1962] The bridge
[1965] On Impulse
[1957] Way out west
[1966] Alfie
[1972] Next - especially everywhere calypso

I would also add Saxophone Colossus, Newk's Time, Vol. 2, Sonny Side Up (with Dizzy and Stitt) and Trio Live in Europe 1959.

Sonny is in my top one of tenor players.

Rhys
I have those albums too, and they're great, but I was trying to list the albums that I replay all the time.

I was also lucky to see him play at the southbank in London, no idea when that was though!

Second attempt at this, including using tips by U CAN CALL ME AL to address latency issues.
View: https://soundcloud.com/user-232330433/weaver-of-dreams-sax-and-bass-mix-on-25-feb-2021

Still sounds a bit "nervy" to me but this and the performances will hopefully improve as I try to better incorporate techniques mentioned by other members in this thread and elsewhere.
I really enjoyed that! It was a nice piece of music

@Dave E Sounding nervous is quite a common feature of lots of posts here. I was equally guilty in my early days of posting, now I sometimes sound nervous when anticipating a ‘dificult‘ passage in a tune, or after making a big blooper. In which case just listen then delete it practice makes perfect better! Glad you got your latency problem sorted. Regards Al

Still sounds a bit "nervy" to me but this and the performances will hopefully improve as I try to better incorporate techniques mentioned by other members in this thread and elsewhere.
If it helps... On this assignment I have found Fabrizio's advice to learn the head by heart has defused an awful lot of angst (if not for the solo bit)

Back
Top Bottom