All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

SOTM February 2020 - Have You Met Miss Jones

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Often, I think the mark of a good player is to make a faster tempo sound like a really relaxed medium swing - you achieve that here. Lovely statement of the tune, with one of your trademark quotes to start things off. 220bpm?!
I'd love to be able to play sax like McCoy Tuner plays this tune! Those wacky changes are tough to negotiate. Even when I make them, they sound obvious and a bit contrived. Hopefully, getting more familiar with them will remedy that. What I do on purpose is to not play long sequences of 16th notes at any tempo.

200 is already fast. I have a version I'm working on but this recording is something like 175. The melody is very simple and easy to stretch and distort or blue, that's how I hear it, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
GCinCT

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
200 is already fast. I have a version I'm working on but this recording is something like 175. The melody is very simple and easy to stretch and distort or blue, that's how I hear it, anyway.
That's what I like about it. Simple melody, some complexity in the changes and it sounds good at a variety of tempos.

mrpeebee

I have two recordings of this song made in June 2018. One with a medium and one with a slow tempo backing track. Both made at the same moment without much preparation.

1. - 'Have You Met Miss Jones' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - medium tempo:

2. - 'Have You Met Miss Jones' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - slow tempo:

I wasn't too unhappy with the medium tempo take. :)

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I like the first turnaround with the altered dominants - I might steal that.
Want to hear something funny? I didn't listen to the Kenny Garrett version, which is very good. I just did today and I'll be darned, he plays those changes, too! And much better, obviously. There's a great lesson there about playing simply with more bluesy soul, even over those kinds of harmonies. I think I got it from McCoy, which I also hadn't listened to for a while. Wait, Vincent Herring does too! I didn't listen to any of these before learning it, but now I see it's trite, I'll need to stop it >:)

Last edited:

Pete Effamy

Want to hear something funny? I didn't listen to the Kenny Garrett version, which is very good. I just did today and I'll be darned, he plays those changes, too! And much better, obviously. There's a great lesson there about playing simply with more bluesy soul, even over those kinds of harmonies. I think I got it from McCoy, which I also hadn't listened to for a while. Wait, Vincent Herring does too! I didn't listen to any of these before learning it, but now I see it's trie, I'll need to stop it >:)
I used to use it a lot when playing in a mainstream combo, but that finished 15 years ago and having played mostly pop music since I’ve forgotten it.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I used to use it a lot when playing in a mainstream combo, but that finished 15 years ago and having played mostly pop music since I’ve forgotten it.
This is why I avoid transcribing and listening to too much to jazz to prepare for someone else's tune.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
There’s only a few changes that you could use in the turnaround though, depends how you negotiate them.
Now that I listened to the Kenny Garrett version, I think it's better bluesy! I didn't hear Miss Jone that way before (see, not really OT).

OP
GCinCT

GCinCT

Subscriber
I have two recordings of this song made in June 2018. One with a medium and one with a slow tempo backing track. Both made at the same moment without much preparation.

1. - 'Have You Met Miss Jones' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - medium tempo:

2. - 'Have You Met Miss Jones' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - slow tempo:

Great recordings at both tempos. You've got a great tone and I really like the way you effortlessly float over the changes. Thank you very much!

s.mundi

Nice Job!

OP
GCinCT

GCinCT

Subscriber
I got some new real tracks for BiaB for this SOTM - The drums and bass are not quite what I'm used to, but I think I more or less got the hang of it in the end. Nice tune and a good challenge!

I like that backing track and you sound fantastic! Great rendition of this tune. I'm glad that people seem to be enjoying this one. I've always loved it.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom