All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

SOTM February 2020 - Have You Met Miss Jones

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Locality
Oneonta, NY
As I will be out of town this weekend, I am launching this a day early. Interesting thing. About 10 days ago, I was listening to a Phil Woods recording of "Have You Met Miss Jones". It's a solo I really like and a tune I have worked on. I decided it would be a good one to transcribe. A couple of hours later, I heard from @nigeld asking me if I would like to host SOTM for February. When a quick check showed that this tune had not been done yet, the choice was made.

It's a fun melody, with a challenging bridge that moves through 3 key centers a major third apart. Some people feel this may have inspired John Coltrane when he developed the "Giant Steps" changes.

Here are the dots and backing track, graciously supplied by @nigeld :Have You Met Miss Jones. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you talented Cafe denizens do with this song.

Here are some examples for inspiration.

First, the Phil Woods version that I listened to:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfc8qUbALc

Here's Ella Fitzgerald with a slight change to the lyric (Sir Jones):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzcRP8QCvO8

I also like Vincent Herring's take:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1a9Wb37IME

And McCoy Tyner is also a great listen:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KuZ4XMc4AA

I hope you all enjoy this. I know I will.

OP
GCinCT

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Locality
Oneonta, NY
Thanks for starting things off, Pete. That was beautiful. I love the Latin feel and you navigated that tricky bridge very nicely! The bar has been set quite high. (Not that it's a competition) ;)

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
Thanks for starting things off, Pete. That was beautiful. I love the Latin feel and you navigated that tricky bridge very nicely! The bar has been set quite high. (Not that it's a competition) ;)
Thanks. It’s my facsimile of bop, I’m not really a bebopper. I had some good guys behind me!

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
Lot’s of charm Randy! I like the first turnaround with the altered dominants - I might steal that. Yes, two years on the hooter but many on the brain - I think you’d be dangerous with more years on the sax mileometer. Great job my friend.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Lot’s of charm Randy! I like the first turnaround with the altered dominants - I might steal that. Yes, two years on the hooter but many on the brain - I think you’d be dangerous with more years on the sax mileometer. Great job my friend.
Give me maybe 5 more? Meanwhile, I'll bet I heard McCoy, Wynton, or Trane do that little raised a half step thingie. In fact, I think I recall it in a live version of Bye Bye Blackbird (Trane).

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Tried to download the mp3 and it comes up as a shortcut, as you can guess i'm new to this.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
I can see it, I can hear it but i can't download it, when recording I usually download on to Audacity as a wav. file converted from an mp3, then record over the top. Do I need extra software??

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
I can see it, I can hear it but i can't download it, when recording I usually download on to Audacity as a wav. file converted from an mp3, then record over the top. Do I need extra software??
What platform are you using - Wdows?, Mac?, tablet?

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

No members online now.
  • Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    luismaciel