SOTM December 2018 - Jingle Bells

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Every sax player can play Jingle Bells can't they?
Well, now is your chance to entertain and impress your fellow Café Saxophone members and to master a festive ditty with which to delight your family and neighbours at 8am on Christmas morning!

The Song Of The Month is Jingle Bells, composed by James Lord Pierpont in 1857

Of course you can use any backing track and notes you like, but some notes and a tasteful backing track are here:
Dropbox - Jingle Bells

The backing track is in concert Bb at 90bpm (C for tenor sax, G for alto). There is a 2-bar intro, then verse ("Dashing through the snow") and Chorus ("Jingle Bells"), both repeated, ending with long notes for "One horse open sleigh". The Dropbox folder contains MuseScore notes and the BIAB file used for the backing, so you can do your own versions if you want.

New members are encouraged to join in. Don't feel that you have to be an expert player.

And there's more - Jingle Bells Medley
Our generous Café proprietor, Mr. Pete Thomas, has offered to mix a Café Jingle Bells Medley, combining the efforts of multiple players into one seamless musical extravaganza. More information about how to submit a recording for the medley and discussion about it are in a separate thread.
Jingle Bells Café Medley

You can, or course, submit recordings for either or both.

Last edited:

saxyjt

impress your fellow Café Saxophone members and to master a festive ditty with which to delight your family and neighbours at 8am on Christmas morning!
If it was only on Christmas morning... But if I spend 3 weeks prior to that morning playing it, I'm sure you win a few friends in the neighborhood! :w00t:

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
What a great choice! A fun, festive, holiday tune. I'm going to see Wynton's Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra at Rose Hall on the 22nd. I'm sure they will play Jingle Bells.

nigeld

Subscriber
Got my first Christmas gig tomorrow, so this SOTM is a good warm up! This is the second take - I messed up the augmented ending first time round.

Recorded on my Trevor James SR with a rigotti goal Jazz 2.5 Strong and *SHAMELESS PLUG* the Saxscape downtown that I'm selling in the yardsale at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/user-934945909%2Fjingle-bells
Wow - that got us off to a good start. Many thanks.

If your Saxscape Downtown mouthpiece could make me play like that, I would buy it in a flash.

saxyjt

Very good version @sax panther and an excellent marketing tool for your mouthpiece. Perhaps if I can sell another horn, I'll be able to sneak in a mouthpiece for my own Christmas!

I may have a buyer for an Alto tomorrow and I printed and additional copy of the Eb dots in case thr sale goes through. It's a Christmas purchase! The recipient is a 7 years old kid, so perhaps not easy for him.

I haven't had time to play it myself yet. Busy with other things, but I'll give it a try next week, possibly early in the morning... ;)

Thanks for the reply nigeld

then it doesn't fit.
my newest recording is called jingle bell rock and is another melody

greetings from the black forest

nigeld

Subscriber

hedgehog

Just in from skiing.
Subscriber
Top Bottom