support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM Dec 2019 -Frosty the Snowman

Went for a walk with Frosty. Started off OK, but the snow came down a bit thick and I got lost. Walked around in circles for a while following my own tracks. Fingers got cold. A few dead ends and missed sign posts... Then we spotted a light at the end of the tunnel and we found our way, just about. Think I might lose the end of my nose through frost bite..
There's an appealing vintage element to your sound

Can't think why you thought you were lost. Frosty must've kept you on track

There's an appealing vintage element to your sound

Can't think why you thought you were lost. Frosty must've kept you on track

I watched the Snowman on telly yesterday. Grab onto his hand and hold on for dear life! And I was attempting to channel Bing Crosby at the beginning, so I'm glad the 'vintage' came across. That and my vintage Yam 280 :p

to avoid the dreadful temptation to dump a big fat root note at the end of every phrase
Mission accomplished! Ending on the flat five is a cherry on top. Nice playing. I keep wanting to go the bridge of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

experimenting with green screen, but the lighting in my spare room isn't quite good enough for it! Frosty duet, alto vs tenor. Forgot to move the mic when I did the tenor recording, but I'd packed it up when I realised so didn't do another take.

I thought this would be good practice for a very vague gig I'm doing on Friday night.."turn up and busk some Christmas tunes...there will be a trumpeter too..." that's all the details I've got! o_O

experimenting with green screen, but the lighting in my spare room isn't quite good enough for it! Frosty duet, alto vs tenor. Forgot to move the mic when I did the tenor recording, but I'd packed it up when I realised so didn't do another take.

I thought this would be good practice for a very vague gig I'm doing on Friday night.."turn up and busk some Christmas tunes...there will be a trumpeter too..." that's all the details I've got! o_O

Nice one! I think this is a great tune - it swings hard even if you just play most of the melody in a simple way, in fact it cries out for it. I come to not deride "cheesy" tunes either, I think that they nearly always have far more integrity than many multi-million selling Pop tunes.
Nicely worked second part.

EDIT: by the way, my comments on keeping the tune simple is mostly a commentary on what I do in places and you also do too. In other words - I dig it.

- now, tell me all about this clarinet malarkey!

Last edited:
Went for a walk with Frosty. Started off OK, but the snow came down a bit thick and I got lost. Walked around in circles for a while following my own tracks. Fingers got cold. A few dead ends and missed sign posts... Then we spotted a light at the end of the tunnel and we found our way, just about. Think I might lose the end of my nose through frost bite..

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-380338591/frosty
@Halfers Hey, some very nice ideas in this - what you miss out in the melody is a good skill to have, just as adding stuff is too. Some really melodic, lyrical ideas in your solo too. Oh, and I like the vintage vib vibe too - wow, try saying that on a few Harveys Bristol Creams.

vintage vib vibe
vintage vib vibe
vintage vib vibe

Oooer... with that vib, I'd have guessed you to be at least 80 years old! You can tell that everyone enjoyed this tune.

@Halfers Hey, some very nice ideas in this - what you miss out in the melody is a good skill to have, just as adding stuff is too. Some really melodic, lyrical ideas in your solo too. Oh, and I like the vintage vib vibe too - wow, try saying that on a few Harveys Bristol Creams.

vintage vib vibe
vintage vib vibe
vintage vib vibe

Oooer... with that vib, I'd have guessed you to be at least 80 years old! You can tell that everyone enjoyed this tune.

Ha! Thanks, Pete. Appreciate the feedback! If I ever get to 80 just imagine the vintage vib vibe I could produce :old:
Whilst I'd love to be able to string off a fast run every now and then, I just can't do it at the mo! So slow and steady for me and my main aim is in trying to concentrate on picking up small lyrical motifs, working with where I am at the moment and using space! Just call me slow chops :p

I've not recorded myself for a while. I think my timing is OK and the lyrical stuff as alright. I think I have a tendency overall to use too much vibrato, which is OK in retro mood, but I think I over use it for other styles. It's become a bit of a habit maybe. I also think my relative volume increases too much as I go up the range of the horn. It creates a bit of a brittle, brassy tone to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom