All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

SOTM Dec 2019 -Frosty the Snowman

Pete Effamy

Danny Boy ("London Derrière" as one poster I've seen called it)
You know the origin of the play on words? I guess you do, but for others - Oh Danny Boy is the first line of the lyric, the song is called The Londonderry Air. On a related note - my favourite Cockney Rhyming Slang made up by musicians is this: Norwegians. Norwegian Fjords. Chords. As in - got any Norwegians?

rhysonsax

You know the origin of the play on words? I guess you do, but for others - Oh Danny Boy is the first line of the lyric, the song is called The Londonderry Air.
To be extra pedantic the tune is known as “The Londonderry Air” and then lyrics were added to the tune to make a song called “Danny Boy” or “Oh Danny Boy”.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Is this a Spot the Difference competition?

If so I lose
Tune is the melody..

Lots of hymns have alternative tunes.

In the case of the song "Danny Boy", the tune ("Londonderry Air") was written down years earlier.

Rhys

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Looking for jazz recordings of this tune I discovered a pianist named Beegie Adair I have not heard before. I listened to this and several other recordings and I find her playing to be delightful to listen to. In her first chorus of improvisation you can still hear hints of the melody, Improvisation on a "melody" is not the same as improvisation over a set of chord changes in my view and I prefer the former over the latter.

You might enjoy these as well, She plays excellent versions of jazz standards too, these are on Spotify as well.

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
I ask forgiveness for posting Frosty with his gloom tube. I have neglected him of late and it was starting to show rather too much, so off the back of some noodling this past ten days or so, I post this...
Very nice version! I'll bet you could sell this on various sites is it was public domain (it's not).

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
Every song you learn is an exercise... In patience, taste, facility. I would have balked at trying to play this tune (it's pretty weak, musically). It was written by folks who saw the huge success of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, whose bridge is confusingly similar. But, as I said, it's all good. Advancement of the art and all that. After all, if Miles can play Billy Boy and Surrey with a Fringe...

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom