All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

SOTM Dec 2019 -Frosty the Snowman

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
The yuletide countdown has begun; so to get into the mood, this month's ditty is Frosty the Snowman

It's not exactly a jazz standard, which should please @Wade Cornell, though there is a version by Ella Fitzgerald knocking about the interwaves. The improbably named Michael Baobabbly also has an online presence featuring a sumptuous big band, which delivers the xmas feel with every brass knob available

@rhysonsax has been generous of time and Christmas spirit in building backing tracks in various styles and tempos to suit moist tastes. Thanks very much Rhys. You too can shuffle with Frosty, swing (fnarr), bossa him about, dixie or even play to a three fingered guitarist. As ever there are sheets for Bb, Eb, Ceee.

CLICK THIS for the Xmas hamper of tracks and sheets

The tune is familiar, advent is ticking off the days, let's hear your Frosty

If you want to shell out a couple of quid for the Boaaoble big band backing track, you can find it here. Our sheets are in the same key. Handy huh?

Last edited:

mrpeebee

I have an old live recording from December 2015, done with the Big Band (on a very cold open air stage in Delft NL). We often have those cold December Christmas street festival gigs and actually nobody really likes them because of the cold and bad tuning, but we make some money with it and the public seems to enjoy it (we are asked to do this each year!).

- 'Frosty The Snowman' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - Q Big Band 2015:
View: https://youtu.be/xtQBPnWNTDE

Frosty is followed by a 'real' Jazz song at 2:45 ('Sing Sing Sing'), with a short tenor solo by me at 3:48.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I have an old live recording from December 2015, done with the Big Band (on a very cold open air stage in Delft NL)

Frosty is followed by a 'real' Jazz song at 2:45 ('Sing Sing Sing'), with a short tenor solo by me at 3:48.
That's a very festive start to this SOTM

Thanks very much for posting @mrpeebee

I see you exiled the bari player to the other side of the stage

Personal hygiene issues?

mrpeebee

I see you exiled the bari player to the other side of the stage

Personal hygiene issues?
I hope it's not about my personal hygiene! ;)

Actually our band leader did a lot of experimenting with our sax section sequence:
  • In above 2015 clip it was: B - A2 - A1 - T1 (me) T2.
  • Before it was: T2 - A2 - A1 - T1 (me) - B
  • Now it is: T2 - T1 (me) - A1 - A2 - B
(All above sequences are from mid-stage towards right side of the stage, view point from before the stage towards the band.)

AlanT

Great choice and backings rhys! I haven't played that tune in forever and look forward to giving it another spin. Loving the versions so far! Seems it can be played in many different ways.
Here is a very short clip from some while back of just the head, I didn't like the improv I did on it so cut it out and just used this clip as a ring tone on my phone during the holidays,
FROSTY

jbtsax

Subscriber
Looking for jazz recordings of this tune I discovered a pianist named Beegie Adair I have not heard before. I listened to this and several other recordings and I find her playing to be delightful to listen to. In her first chorus of improvisation you can still hear hints of the melody, Improvisation on a "melody" is not the same as improvisation over a set of chord changes in my view and I prefer the former over the latter.

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
Breaking the duck means doing for the first time
Thank heavens! There are so many other possibilities when one doesn't know the expression! :)
And let me also take this opportunity to agree that @rhysonsax has some excellent backing tracks. It's only because I enjoy finding different ideas that I didn't use one. I should asked right away how many quotes are folks hearing?

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
My inability to improvise meaningfully on Frosty's melody was supposed to be hidden by these...
Christmas Song (Chestnuts)
Jingle Bells
random blues lick
My Romance
Danny Boy ("London Derrière" as one poster I've seen called it)
Sentimental Journey (in two keys)
Stevie
When I Fall in Love
Proud Mary (Rollin' on the river)

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom