Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

SOTM, Dec 2016. - Believe from Polar Express.

Did you have a go with this but not post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
It's Christmas! Yipee!
I have the fun of choosing and hosting the SOTM.

So here is something to entertain your children and grandchildren or extend your Christmas busking/concert party repertoire. I have chosen Believe from the children's Christmas film Polar Express. The words and music were written by Glen Ballard and Alan Silvestri, and the song was performed by Josh Groban.

Chris has helped with the dots, etc (Thank you) and here you will find backing track at two tempos (about 60bpm and 80bpm), music, and for the vocalists, the words.

To get you started with the feel of the tune here is a video:

View: https://youtu.be/hGNQY7R4nBE

I hope I have chosen something that all the apprentice sax tamers can attempt, so, if you consider yourself in that group, have a go and post it. To quote something said to me in the Summertime thread yesterday:

"No one here is going to jump on you, we aren't in there with you although it probably feels like it. Try and relax let the music take over. Don't worry be happy! "

Treat it as a way of learning and improving, someone will put a tutoring hat on for you.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Hi @Rob Pealing I remember this tune well having watched the film several times with my Grandsons. a quick starter for the thread. I was being lazy and think I should have used the alto, instead played on the upper register of my G4M tenor after a few run throughs, just a little embellishment, and a little more reverb than usual to give it a Xmas bells feel. It's the way I play 'em.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Hi @Rob Pealing I remember this tune well having watched the film several times with my Grandsons. a quick starter for the thread. I was being lazy and think I should have used the alto, instead played on the upper register of my G4M tenor after a few run throughs, just a little embellishment, and a little more reverb than usual to give it a Xmas bells feel. It's the way I play 'em.

Thanks for kicking this off. I liked the embellishments, and the phrasing in the last few bars.

Tiberius

Ok, go number one. This is quite tricky, first, I can't play it as written, I don't even know the fingering for low C# and I'm pretty sure I couldn't play it even if I did :) So, I stuck the octave key on...which means I just play C#. Of course that migrates some of the notes to palm D and even a palm E, which are all a bit shaky for me, but good practice.

And...a pile of semi's at the same note, does neone else find that difficult or is it just me? Like is that dudududuh, or dudududududu...or did I play dududududu and it should have been dudududu? Please, don't tell me I'm the only one :)

Not the complete song, but I'm off to the cinema now, so the rest will have to wait.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/Believe20161201.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Ok, go number one. This is quite tricky, first, I can't play it as written, I don't even know the fingering for low C# and I'm pretty sure I couldn't play it even if I did :) So, I stuck the octave key on...which means I just play C#. Of course that migrates some of the notes to palm D and even a palm E, which are all a bit shaky for me, but good practice.

And...a pile of semi's at the same note, does neone else find that difficult or is it just me? Like is that dudududuh, or dudududududu...or did I play dududududu and it should have been dudududu? Please, don't tell me I'm the only one :)

Not the complete song, but I'm off to the cinema now, so the rest will have to wait.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/Believe20161201.mp3
Good first try. You stayed with the backing track, which is always an achievement and you kept going.

Regarding the "semis" ..they are quavers, rather than semi-quavers, but....yes I guess I would be thinking duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and)

and low C# is Left hand 1, 2, 3 and the little finger on the "outside centre" key (if you turn the sax round and look at the 4-way keys there is one up, one down, one nearer the sax (on the left) and one further from the sax (on the right) - its that final key that you need) and you also need right hand 1, 2, 3 and the little finger on the lower of the 2 keys beneath that.
Bear in mind that the C# cup will often stick closed if it isn't used much. It it the first big one as you travel up the bell from the bottom, and it is usually closed, but opens when you press that left hand little finger key. If it doesn't open, a little GENTLE persuasion with an index finger, just to lift the cup GENTLY usually does the trick.
To get the C# to sound good, take a good breath, think "big" (opera DIVA style) and open your mouth and throat as if you were going to sing a really low note and provide a good column of air. No need to blow like some ship's fog-horn, but a good firm column of air. Work your way down from G -F -E -D -C - C#. Hopefully you'll hit it down there somewhere! And if C and C# sound the same, your C# pad is probably stuck closed.
Well done.

I'll give it a go after Monday ...life is on hold until then!

Tiberius

Regarding the "semis" ..they are quavers, rather than semi-quavers,

,,,and low C# is Left hand 1, 2, 3 and the little finger on the "outside centre" key
Bad habit I know, I call the filled in one beat symbols notes, so the half notes I call semi's...yeah I know it's wrong and I really should try calling them the proper name now that I know it...habits are hard to break :(

C# thanks, I kinda knew it was one of those keys, but didn't know which one (well I know G#, so that left only 3 to try). As suspected, I can't play it straight off, but I can run down to it, just like C.

Sadly I'm in Edinburgh all day tomorrow, so this will now have to wait till the weekend, but then I'll be back on it...along with the Johnny Ferreira xmas stuff from another thread.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
@Tiberius I found it easier if I wrote the words on the music, and learnt to sing it, then sing it in my head as I play it. I don't have to count all those 1/8 (quavers) notes in the second half and the timing and phrasing comes a bit easier, I am not good at keeping in time with the backing yet.

Tiberius

Yes, writing the words definitely helps, a few people suggested it including my teacher, must do it more.
This is a bit awkward for Bb instruments, either going high or low depending which octave you play it in. but we should be able to play the complete range I guess so I will persevere.
I guess I could have brought the sax on the 3 hour train trip to Edinburgh, but the other passengers prolly wouldn't be so happy :)

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Give that reed a bit of welly Mandy - show it who's boss.
Sometimes those Arundos just need a crack of the whip, and a few stern staccatos on their B flats.
Good luck on Monday. Sock it to 'em ;-) You know you can! We all know you can!

Tiberius

Ok, got back from Edinburgh just in time to give this a quick go...or two. One high, one low. tbh, I'm not comfy with either, low register just goes down into areas I can't play straight off and high register goes to the palm keys where the notes are weak (yeah, both just me, I don't have confidence in these areas yet.

Timing goes a bit out towards the end when I'm concecrating on trying to ge the notes out I think.

High:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/BelieveHigh20161202.mp3

Low:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/BelieveLow20161202.mp3

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom