support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM - August 2016: Wave

And I've just realised that it doesn't sound like the complement that I thought I was writing. :doh:

This is a track in concert A (B for the soprano), just to hear the difference. Interestingly enough, I found that Soundcloud seemed to change the sound more on this track than usual, when compared to the original recording. Any suggestions on how to avoid this would be welcome. Thanks.

View: https://soundcloud.com/billbluesnjazz/wave-in-concert-a

Sequoia straight soprano, straight dark neck, Sopranoplanet Open Sky piece, Vandoren M/O lig, Forestone synthetic reed.

Bill

I have been experimenting with some of Pete's suggestions for compression and reverb in Audacity. The backing track was an Aebersold one in concert D that I brought down to C using Audacity, so that I could play some of the ideas from Dexter Gordon's live recordings ("Swiss Nights") - it's a lot harder than I thought !

https://app.box.com/s/l6jvjqwt0831hroh0nj6kgspkrt6uugj

Rhys

There have been so many really, really great versions of this song this month, which is all the more impressive as it's a bit of a tricky key.

You've all been utter stars. :D

Here's to next month. :cheers:

Many, many thanks to you all. :thumb:

Nice. :thumb:

This may be a stupid question, but did Dexter play this song in C or was that to put the song in a key you preferred so you could concentrate on Dexter's ideas?

Dexter played it in concert C, at least on his Swiss Nights live recordings.

Rhys

Just a quick thanks to @Veggie Dave for hosting this one.:) Great tune and a great host:)
Also thanks to you guys for making it a great month:)

Next months host has been selected and the tune is picked.:)

Thanks again :)

Chris..

I'm a few years late, but back then I could not play this at all! Now I can, but not as well as I'd like.

Then I really need to get the grips on mixing and playing with a backing track. That would most likely help hide some of my obvious defects...

Please forgive the BIG FAIL in the middle... The stress of recording I guess!

Should I now go and drawn my shame under a wave of black foam?

Playing with a backing track can be surprisingly difficult at the beginning because the backing determines the tempo. But it’s worth it.

Back
Top Bottom