support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM - August 2016: Wave

No we don't but we just forget to comment, I often set a track playing then go off reading stuff whilst I listen and forget to go back :)

Jx
I'm basing this on the number of plays I get on soundcloud for any given month. For example I may average 20 plays the first post. Second post 9 or 10. Third post I'm lucky if anyone listens at all. Just my experience.

I'm basing this on the number of plays I get on soundcloud for any given month. For example I may average 20 plays the first post. Second post 9 or 10. Third post I'm lucky if anyone listens at all. Just my experience.

I promise to listen to your last attempt just tag me :)

Jx

Excellent tune and some nice versions so far.

My favourite performance is a live recording by Dexter Gordon from his superb album(s) Swiss Nights.

What a sound and what great music !

Rhys
I have been really studying this tune, and this transcription is a "master class" by Dexter Gordon on what notes sound "hip" over the changes. His "quotes" of other Jobim tunes are delightful as well. @Colin the Bear What's not to like???

Here is my best effort (edited) so far on this marvelous tune. (Thanks to Jimmy H for pointing out a balance issue.) I am really loving my new tenor piece which is a Jody Jazz Jet 7*. It seems to be a good fit for my Conn 10M tenor.

Last edited:
Last edited:
'Might' being the operative word.

Oh, I don't think it is. ;)

Here is my best effort (edited) so far on this marvelous tune.

I was wondering when you'd join in. :)

I think I prefer the second half as it sounds, to me at least, that you go from playing the song the way you think you should play it to letting the song play you and you letting it. If that makes sense...

I was wondering when you'd join in. :)

I think I prefer the second half as it sounds, to me at least, that you go from playing the song the way you think you should play it to letting the song play you and you letting it. If that makes sense...

At first I wasn't quite sure how to respond to this comment, but upon reflection this is my answer. "Wave" as composed and performed by Jobim has a gentle and flowing melody, and as such I feel it needs to be played in that style. On the other hand when improvising my own melody over the changes, I am free to develop my ideas and go beyond the boundaries of the original melody.

Obviously, how I hear it isn't necessarily how anyone else hears it, but it sounded to me like the second half had a better flow. Nothing to do with note choice, more that you came through in the second half and it feels like it has more heart.

I'm sure I'm explaining this really badly...

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom