support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM - August 2016: Wave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
For some reason I've been chosen to host this month's SOTM, which it turns out I didn't really understand. Apparently when it says 'song' in the title, what it means is a proper song rather than a couple of bars of melody and then half an hour of self-indulgent finger wiggling. So, Billie's Bounce will have to wait another month before I get around to having another attempt at learning this classic.

As I now understand the concept behind the SOTM, this month you'll be pleased to hear that we're going to be doing a proper song - 'Wave' by the incredibly aggressive, hard-core metal band, Slipknot.

If you're a Bossa Nova fan and Hal Leonard collector, then you'll find this song in 'Bossa Nova - 10 Latin Jazz Favourites (Jazz Play Along Vol 40)'. If you're not, then @Chris has performed his usual magic and produced a couple of backing tracks - one with guitar, the other with the ever popular electric piano.

I do have two apologies to make, though:

• I wrote this month's sheets so they may be dreadful and completely wrong.
  • The song's in D so that's E for the B flatters and B for the E flatters.

Take heart, however, because the song mostly repeats the same melody so while it may be in a less common key there's still no reason less experienced players can't have fun with this.

For the backing tracks and sheets:
Dropbox - Wave

Here's Antonio Carlos Jobim's original version:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6KDpB6skA4

And here he is with Herbie Hancock:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQg2NZOTXE

Lastly, A bit of Stan Getz:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WctZJcPwnOQ

Here is another nice alto version by Paul Desmond. Still having problems. Sorry. Let's try this one.

Last edited:
@jbtsax Paul Desmond link doesn't work for me either.
I wonder if it's something to do with copyright in the USA and the UK.

Right.
Couldn't play it here in Austria.
Logged in with US IP (IPVanish), and voila....:)

Cheers, Guenne

Here's mine. Just one chorus 'cause I don't know the changes well enough for a solo yet. If anybody likes this I could try again before the month's out.

Last edited:
Great choice! That's a really nice tune.
Nice takes from all so far :)
I'll try and record it before the end of the month if I can.
Until then, and to be sure to participate: this was recorded a few months ago (and already posted somewhere on the forum). A different key and a somewhat different feel to it

Excellent tune and some nice versions so far.

My favourite performance is a live recording by Dexter Gordon from his superb album(s) Swiss Nights.

What a sound and what great music !

Rhys

Until then, and to be sure to participate: this was recorded a few months ago (and already posted somewhere on the forum). A different key and a somewhat different feel to it

Aha! This is where I first hear the song.

If you're a Bossa Nova fan and Hal Leonard collector, then you'll find this song in 'Bossa Nova - 10 Latin Jazz Favourites (Jazz Play Along Vol 40)'.

Strangely I have got that book and CD and "Wave" isn't on it, but I know it usually is ! I wonder if there is a US version and a slightly different one for the rest of the world.

Rhys

Oh. I got mine from a friend, but she is an avid song book collector who spends a lot of time in Latin America so it might not be a UK publication.

And having now checked Amazon UK, mine's quite different although the cover art's the same.

And having now looked on Amazon US, it turns out I've got an American version.

Back
Top Bottom