All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

SOTM - August 2016: Wave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
It seems to have become a little quiet in here - the question is, why?

If the key is putting some of you off, have faith in your ability. I know it looks scary but it's not as hard as you think. Honestly.

If you feel it's too fast then let me know and I'll post slightly slower versions.

Colin the Bear

It's only the 4th. Hang on a mo. Did a backing track last night. I'm going to listen again tonight. It's odd how they change in the laptop. ;)

Real book has it in D but I've always played it Bb alto or F tenor. I suppose with it being a guitar composition it's not likely to be in a flat key. After 35 years some of those licks will tale some learning in a different key. So I'm not going to bother :cool:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm listening on headphones and the backing track is very clear but the sax sounds like it is a long way at the end of an echoing tunnel.
Probably the sax mic is that stereo one with the capsules wired out of phase.

Colin the Bear

Can't hear the horn with head phones on so tone and pitching suffers. Although both these were recorded wearing headphones. I need more gear for recording. Poking the mic into the mic hole on the laptop has its limitations. A good mic and a decent mixer are on my list. Not near the top though :rolleyes:

I used the fade in fade out option and probably the wrong reverb on the street version. After spending so much time getting the backing track just how I like it maybe I don't bring the sax to the front enough. And then soundcloud alters everything with compression and equalising.

Last edited:

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
This is the version I busk. Well the backing track any how. I have to wait and see what comes out on the day.

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/wave-street-version
Once again, excellent. This is what I aspire to.

And the smooth version maybe? Bit slower anywho.

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/wave

And shorter ;)
Also excellent. just so smooth.

Here is my quick and dirty take for this month. With thanks to Chris for the nice backing, which I slowed down a bit in tempo.

- 'Wave' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
Wave (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) by mrpeebee
I really like this version. it deserves to be slower like this, as it makes it last longer.:)

Hello,

I was trying to kill two birds with one stone and recorded the SOTM for the ebay auction I am planning to sell this mouthpiece (it's in Yardsale too).
Anyway, I hope you like my rendition of Wave (Playalong is MMO):

Cheers, Guenne
This, however, is so smooth, that I had to put my smoking jacket on and pour a rather large extra matured cognac, whilst holidaying in Monaco, in 1962. Now that's smooth.
If only I could do this...
By the way, what does MMO mean, Guenne?

Last edited:

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
Still only one chorus, but I made some changes. This one is in the key of E instead of D like my other one. I'm playing my Selmer SA80ii instead of my YTS- 82z, and I played around with mic placement and settings. Feedback welcome.
I like it. Nice tone and playing. Also, you have a good sax to backing track balance on your recording. Pity it wasn't longer as I was enjoying that.

jimmylh

It's too short. ;)
I was pretty happy with this take, except for one part around the 53 second mark where I was ahead of the beat. :mad: I didn't want to ruin it with a ridiculously bad solo attempt. I'm going to try hard to study the changes and see if I can do a full song before the month is out. Trouble is folks tire of listening to the same person after the second or third post. Can't really blame them though. :verysad;)

Last edited:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Trouble is folks tire of listening to the same person after the second or third post. Can't really blame them though. :verysad;)
No we don't but we just forget to comment, I often set a track playing then go off reading stuff whilst I listen and forget to go back :)

Jx

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom