support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM Apr 2020 - Dolphin Dance

I'm enjoying listening to this tune which is new to me, and also playing the head on my Bb saxes.

But I'm totally stumped and confused about improvising over the chords (New Real Book Vol 3). I know that there are some shortish sections with various Pedal Tones in the bass, but the chords and local key centre seem to leap about all over the place.

Have any of our more experienced improvisers got some tips for making it sound decent ?

Rhys

I found this: An Analysis of

But it hurt my head and didn't leave me much the wiser.

Rhys

Ignorance is bliss! And if all else fails, repeat the head with a few 'embellishments' the second time round ;)

My initial choice was a Wings tune..by the way :p

But, it is a wonderful piece of music and its complexity has made me dig a bit deeper into the chords and think about how a 'solo' can be built around the seemingly (to my dumb ears) pattern-free chord arrangement. I'm not sure I'll get to a satisfactory conclusion, so if I get round to recording something, it might just be a repeat of the head with a few flourishes ;)... well done to all those who have attempted a solo so far..

I found a nice backing track that I had - I think it's from Hal Leonard and played tenor with the soprano pretending to be a trumpet. Playing the two saxes together in octaves shows up dodgy intonation on the sop, particularly open C#. Sorry.

Dolphin Dance - Rhys tenor & soprano V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Great stuff, Rhys. I think you handled the solo really well. Some excellent phrases very much in the keeping of the song. Love the ending too!

I found a nice backing track that I had - I think it's from Hal Leonard and played tenor with the soprano pretending to be a trumpet. Playing the two saxes together in octaves shows up dodgy intonation on the sop, particularly open C#. Sorry.

Dolphin Dance - Rhys tenor & soprano V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Seems like the sop makes a good alternative for the trumpet voice. Very nice! Now I'm tempted....

Good job, Nigel!

I really enjoyed this break down of the tune on the Piano. Wonderful chord voicing and it's a real eye opener to me, cause it's a great tune and I had no idea when I chose it how tricky it would be to get anything melodious over the chord progression. But hey, I appreciate everyone's submissions. I'm definitely going to give it a go, but probably after the Month is over.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epnQxXRdyZI

It’s the end of the month, so I would like to thank @Halfers for acting as host, and also to thank all the contributors.

As usual, this thread will remain open, and late contributions are very welcome.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom