support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM Apr 2020 - Dolphin Dance

Didn't see it since I can't read, sorry, yes here's the correct one:
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 18.22.47.png

I'm playing the right notes, but, quoting Dave Sanborn, " I think in concert!"
So this is the occasion to use that seldom pressed key? I'd have recorded but I have a sore inside my lower lip.

Transposition note, I can never remember what the interval is to transpose between Bb and Eb instruments. What I did just now was to click concert, then down minor third, then up an octave. That could be done in one step, but the math is killing me, due to lockdown! It's lockdown, I tell you!

Transposition note, I can never remember what the interval is to transpose between Bb and Eb instruments. What I did just now was to click concert, then down minor third, then up an octave. That could be done in one step, but the math is killing me, due to lockdown! It's lockdown, I tell you!

Well, attempting to work out the chord voicing on the piano. Head totally locked down! I think it's Beer O'Clock!

@saxyjt I think it's great that you finally posted a recording! If you have a metronome, it would be fine to hear it, but as others have said, it's much nicer to have a backing track. There are many out there. A lot of the students at the school just use their smartphones to record, playing the backing track on a computer or mp3 player through speakers. It's not the most flattering sound, but it's fuller and gives some context. Otherwise, solo recordings even by the pros usually have some reverb or echo.

Although I remembered most of the melody, the saxophone articulation is very subtle and of course far different from guitar. Still, gave it the old college try, even though I did not go to college. The benefit of working through this to get it better will be huge. I hear 100 things that need work, in particular long notes, high notes. I did use the F# key in that little triplet figure in bar 29. It's the first time I felt it was called for.
View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/dolphin-dance

@Mark Hancock nice! You got me paranoid at bar 29, but I think in the end the second note before the triplets is a half step (A to Bb), not a whole step; sounds like you're playing A to B concert? Or is it me?

Oops I think you're right, Randy. I done gone and messed it up!
I wouldn't have said anything, but I thought I might have heard that bar wrong, because it's all from memory, not read.
Once we were responsible for printing a wiring diagram for a nuclear power plant. We ran the program, and the guy who sold it said, see, it got 99% correct. Thing is, there were thousands of wires! You did better than 99%:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have said anything, but I thought I light have heard that bar wrong, because it's all from memory, not read.
Once we were responsible for printing a wiring diagram for a nuclear power plant. We ran the program, and the guy who sold it said, see, it got 99% correct. Thing is, there were thousands of wires! You did better than 99%:)
No problem. I didn't know the tune before. I guess i must have practiced it wrong every time! How does that saying go..."perfect is the enemy of mediocrity"? Something like that....

I had my first Herbie Hancock experience when I was 5 years old. My parents took me with them to see Antonioni's Blow-Up. Still one of my favorite soundtrack of all times. :p

Herbie's a genius. I also like his funky years.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom