Tutorials

SOTM Apr 2020 - Dolphin Dance

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Many thanks to @tenorviol for April's song of the Month and for @nigeld for asking me to host for April and for kindly providing the notes and the backing tracks.

I've inadvertently continued the Oceanic theme this Month, as I've chosen the final track from Herbie Hancock's Sea themed Album 'Maiden Voyage'. Although travelling by Sea, or by any mode of transport is unlikely for any of us over the coming Month, it does seem as if we are all entering uncharted territory!

I was hoping for a more contemporary tune for April, however there were some questions about reproducing the notes, so a change of tack was required and no better second choice than this hopeful and uplifting number from one of my favourite albums.

I appreciate that April is going to be a challenging Month for some, and finding the opportunity to record might be difficult for various reasons. However, I'm also hoping some will have a little more time on their hands, so clips, videos, recordings, however long or short will be appreciated.

There are a number of alternative versions around. I've posted the original and I'll leave it others to post their own favourite alternative versions, live recordings etc.

Notes and backing tracks can be found..

Here

Note, there are two backing tracks. One at the original tempo and one a little slower.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB2Z2DY17yQ

mrpeebee

Not my favourite type of Jazz, but I have an old recording from November 2012 to share. As often with this type of tunes I tend to play it probably a bit too 'free'!

- 'Dolphin Dance' (Florida no USA 9 - La Voz medium):

Played on my 50's Otto Link Florida no USA 9 mouthpiece, the smaller brother of my main mouthpiece (a Florida no USA 10*).

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Not my favourite type of Jazz, but I have an old recording from November 2012 to share. As often with this type of tunes I tend to play it probably a bit too 'free'!
Great start. I especially like the Altissimo 'Dolphin talk'

mrpeebee

What is your favorite? You more than did justice on this, and it's not the easiest tune to play.
Thanks!

I'm more into 1930's to '50's type of styles like blues, swing, soul-jazz, mainstream, bebop and hardbop. As long as it swings and the rhythm section is not too much in the way of the soloist (which was the case with the backing I used for the Dolphin take!).

But I've listened to a lot of styles (also more modern jazz) and my brain almost always comes up with something (not always good stuff, but at least something!), independent of style or backing.

Last edited:

mrpeebee

Pretty hard to do when the rhythm section isn't there to hear you! :)
That's true, but I can hear them!

I didn't like the busy (modern) drumming and the block chord piano playing in the backing track I used, to much pushing for my taste. But music is music, best is to try to adapt to the circumstances and make the best of it!

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
I hope it's not going to prove too difficult for a @randulo attempt! I'm sure that won't be the case!
Ironically I played this tune on guitar a century ago. It's tough and I'm not sure I'm ready. I'll have to look at the changes, I remember the melody, mostly.

Last edited:
OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Ironically I played this time on guitar a century ago. It's tough and I'm not sure I'm ready. I'll have to look at the changes, I remember the melody, mostly.
Well I hope my choice doesn't prove too hard. They're all too hard for me, generally..

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
For a newcomer, I'm finding the head fine to play. It's got a challenging few bars, but nothing that can't be handled. Actually, I think we should put aside any comments about the playability if the piece as it might put some people off attempting it

As I mentioned on the OP, any amount of input this Month is fine. Even if it's just a short recording of the head. Doesn't need to be a full recording or anything spectacular.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
When I read the title of this month's SOTM, I was happy as I'd been working on this tune for a few weeks. I love Herbie Hancock. He kept me going for weeks when I was working hard on converting my basement into a comfortable music studio and home office. I have the complete Blue Note Sixties sessions! :D

So I grabbed my horn and went for it. Once to warm up and again recording. The result is awful! I'm shocked... :eek: I had not recorded myself in ages and it's really appalling.

Hear for yourself, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/user-674160203%2Fdolphin-dance-assassinated
I'm devastated! :mad: I feel like a primary school kid that's struggling to read. So now you get why I am not posting more often... I wish I could use more of the time I have these days to practice, but my wife won't let me and hearing this I can't blame her!

I obviously need to practice more, but then where should I start?

Sorry for this way too long complaint, but it had to get out! :confused:

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
When I read the title of this month's SOTM, I was happy as I'd been working on this tune for a few weeks. I love Herbie Hancock. He kept me going for weeks when I was working hard on converting my basement into a comfortable music studio and home office. I have the complete Blue Note Sixties sessions! :D
You posted. That's all that matters. Rulebook out the window for everything, including BOTM and SOTM. Making a little music is all that matters :sax:

rhysonsax

..... So I grabbed my horn and went for it. Once to warm up and again recording. The result is awful! I'm shocked... :eek: I had not recorded myself in ages and it's really appalling. ...
Not awful at all. Being completely solo makes the recording very exposed. If you added a bit (more) reverb and played with controlled vibrato (just like I don't) then it would instantly sound better.

And then if you played with a decent backing track and mixed the sounds together well, it would seem massively better again, even though the sax recording stayed the same.

Keep going !

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
So I grabbed my horn and went for it. Once to warm up and again recording. The result is awful! I'm shocked... :eek: I had not recorded myself in ages and it's really appalling.
It's fine. And you posted, which is more than most of the rest of us have done. Let's hear more.

As Rhys said, if you added a bit of reverb and a backing track it would sound a lot better.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Fingering question for alto: I think I transposed this right from the Bb version:

(edit: wrong notes, even for jazz!)

This seems like a good time to use what I think is the funny F# key to avoid the inherent "flapping"? Does this make sense?

Last edited:
OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Fingering question for alto: I think I transposed this right from the Bb version:
View attachment 14375
This seems like a good time to use what I think is the funny F# key to avoid the inherent "flapping"? Does this make sense?
Are you transposing from the Bb sheet for practice? There is an Eb sheet in the Dropbox file.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom